Honored Contributor

Re: "KEEP YOUR HAIR ON!"

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids   Bong it in the boot, = toss it in the trunk

Honored Contributor

My Mother was British and I grew up with a parcel full of sayings and dittys....

Any old iron

Any old iron

Any any old iron

You look sweet

Talk about a treat

You look dapper from your topper to your feet

Dressed in style

Brand new tile, Father's brand new Tie on

I wouldn't give a Tuppance for your old watch and chain

Old iron

Old iron.....  LOL!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

My Mother was British and I grew up with a parcel full of sayings and dittys....

Any old iron

Any old iron

Any any old iron

You look sweet

Talk about a treat

You look dapper from your topper to your feet

Dressed in style

Brand new tile, Father's brand new Tie on

I wouldn't give a Tuppance for your old watch and chain

Old iron

Old iron.....  LOL!!

These are great! 

Honored Contributor

@NigelSparkles wrote:

I love some of the British expressions as well. One of my favorites is from Mary Poppins. "Close your mouth Michael, we are not a codfish". Don't know why it always makes me laugh, but it does every time.

@NigelSparkles -

That makes me laugh every time too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

Re: "KEEP YOUR HAIR ON!"

[ Edited ]

@camelot wrote:

Google:

Definition of keep your hair on

—used to tell someone not to become too excited or upsetKeep your hair on.

My definition of keep your hair on:  don't get your panties in a twist!  Smiley Very Happy

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

I never understood the word "Bloody" used to emphasize. It just seems out of good taste and not a pleasant thought?  "He bloody well better have finished that project!"

It must have some meaning?

Respected Contributor

When I lived in another state I had a friend who was from Great Britain.   I used to get such a kick out of her expressions.  My favorite one which I can't post here was the saying they use when someone has had too much to drink.  P..... as a newt.  That one I had never heard before.  

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

And Bob's your uncle !

Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt!

Fancy a cuppa? I fancy saying "fancy" instead of "like."

Ta (means thank you)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

I never understood the word "Bloody" used to emphasize. It just seems out of good taste and not a pleasant thought?  "He bloody well better have finished that project!"

I think it's supposed to be unpleasant. From what I can tell, it's similar to a swear word over there. Not quite. But not considered a particularly nice or even neutral word to say.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

I can understand that.  I do rather like 'bloody hell' and use that one sometimes

But the 'bloody' thing is probably less offensive for me than one American phrase I see from time to time (mostly here on QVC, thankfully) that is - 'stinkin' cute'.  UGH!    Smiley Very Happy  That one skeeves me out for whatever reason.