Respected Contributor

Am I asking to much to have people call before six at night ? I have health issues and take naps, we have a ritual of our dinner time, watch the evening news, and them relax with 2 game shows. This fellow that my husband met has a habit of calling at 8;30-9;00pm and I think that is to late sometimes we like to call it a night it we get tired and he calls and interupts our rest, especially mine.. I finally ask him politely to call before 6;00pm and he took an attitude with me, and acted really miffed . I told him that I am ill and need my rest. What's your take.

Honored Contributor

There is nothing wrong with your request.  If he called again late, I'd consider blocking his number.

Honored Contributor

i personally dont find 8:30 or 9pm too late to receive a phone call, but if you let him know that you prefer him not to call after a certain period of time then hopefully he respects your request. if he doesnt, just stop answering the phone OR turn your ringer off. he will then get the message.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@BeccaLou  .......  It is your health, your house, your rules. No, you were not out of line. My brother is a morning person and prefers to get up early. He is usually in bed by 8:00 p.m. and has told everyone not to call him after 8:00 unless it is an emergency. 

Frequent Contributor
It’s perfectly reasonable for you to set your own household hours. Our phone ringers go off after 7:00 pm, no guilt or hard feelings, just how we like it
Valued Contributor

You aren't being unreasonable at all.  Is he calling your house phone? If so, turn your ringer off at 6:00 p.m. You can check for messages if you're concerned about anyone trying to reach you due to an emergency.  If he's calling your cell phone, use the "Do Not Disturb" feature - this allows you to set times you do not wish to receive calls.  

Respected Contributor

You could unplug the phone when you want to rest  - or if it's a cell turn it off.  Problem solved.

Honored Contributor

I agree with the posters, it isn't wrong of you to set the times people can call you especially if you need rest because of an illness.  I would never be insulted or offended if anyone I know told me not to call after a certain time.  In fact I would want to know.

It irks me when people assume because they are up early or go to sleep late, everyone is on their schedule.  

Honored Contributor

becca lou!

I meant to wish you well and hope your health issues aren't serious and soon you will feel better.  Stay safe!

Honored Contributor

Re: "Just Wondering "?

[ Edited ]

I probably would have asked my husband to tell his friend not to call after 6 rather than me.