Valued Contributor

"Joy" just won a Golden Globe

Jennifer Lawrence just won best actress for her portrayal of Joy Mangano in the movie "Joy". It was a nice acceptance speech and she thanked Joy M.

Trusted Contributor

Re: "Joy" just won a Golden Globe

@Deb1010yetagain----Did you see the movie?  I didn't but wondered about it being a comedy.--------tedEbear

Valued Contributor

No, I didn't see the movie.   But I really like Jennifer Lawrence and some of the other cast.

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I saw it and both enjoyed it.  I know who Joy Magnano is, but I've never seen her on air.  My husband had never heard of her.  Though I wouldn't qualify the movie as an out-right comedy (like Trainwreck), it was very quirky and had several funny scenes.

Valued Contributor

Proves that a movie with NO substance wins ONLY on the reputation of the director and a popular actress. What a JOKE!

Trusted Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

Proves that a movie with NO substance wins ONLY on the reputation of the director and a popular actress. What a JOKE!

So you saw the movie?

Trusted Contributor

Makes me angry that HSN just put up a banner that "Joy The Movie" won a golden globe. No, Jennifer Lawrence won a Golden Globe for her performance!

Joy's head is big enough as it is. Let J-Law enjoy her award. HSN has been milking this movie to no end.

I realize Joy's story is a rags to riches story, but there are many millionaires who had long roads to make their money. I don't find Joy's story anything "special". She worked hard, she persevered, and she made it.

I hear the movie is good, but they tweaked her story to make a good movie. Even J-Law said on Jimmy Fallon that it was only loosely based.

Even funnier when J-Law was on Jimmy Fallon was that she had no idea who Joy was, nor of the mop, nor of HSN LOL!

Respected Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

Makes me angry that HSN just put up a banner that "Joy The Movie" won a golden globe. No, Jennifer Lawrence won a Golden Globe for her performance!

Joy's head is big enough as it is. Let J-Law enjoy her award. HSN has been milking this movie to no end.

I realize Joy's story is a rags to riches story, but there are many millionaires who had long roads to make their money. I don't find Joy's story anything "special". She worked hard, she persevered, and she made it.

I hear the movie is good, but they tweaked her story to make a good movie. Even J-Law said on Jimmy Fallon that it was only loosely based.

Even funnier when J-Law was on Jimmy Fallon was that she had no idea who Joy was, nor of the mop, nor of HSN LOL!

I wouldnt expect someone of her age TO know those things..But I bet she does NOW!LOL!

The movie WAS good,whether you knew who she was or not..one of us did and the other did not, both of us enjoyed it...

Esteemed Contributor

I am SO glad Jenn won! Loved her in Joy, The Hunger Games, Silver Lining Playbook. Shes the best newer actress and acts like a down to earth person!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I saw the movie. My date and I missed "Star Wars" by fifteen minutes and I reluctantly suggested "Joy." I wanted to see it but expected him to hate it.

We both loved it. Jennifer Lawrence was amazing. My date, who knew nothing about it but loves David O. Russell films did laugh out loud and said, "I thought my family was crazy." Robet DeNiro stole the show.

And no violence, obscenities or sex. No wonder it reminded me of the old fashioned movies that told a story.