Honored Contributor

"I spy with my little eye....American Flag Still Lowered"

We were ordered to lower the American flag to half staff from 7/21-7/25.

Here it is 8/3...and I STILL see businesses with a lowered flag.

Do you have any flags still lowered in your neighborhood?

Super Contributor

Re: "I spy with my little eye....American Flag Still Lowered"

I haven't noticed any American flags around here lowered.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure why the OP feels that it is an issue if someone's flag is still at half staff. It's honoring lives lost so there shouldn't need to be a time limit. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe we all should adhere to the President Proclamation.

Other times when I called, I usually get a 'we forgot' response & they are raised immediately.   Never have I gotten pushback.  I would like to call on this particular business, but I'm willing to see it out.  I bet it's still lowered on Saturday, this week.   Very disrespectful...IMO.

Respected Contributor

Many flags in this area are at half-staff for the firefighter who was recently killed fighting a forest fire.

Respected Contributor

Perhaps they've left the flag at half-mast for one or more reasons other than the one of which you are thinking.  Shouldn't make assumptions.

Honored Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

Perhaps they've left the flag at half-mast for one or more reasons other than the one of which you are thinking.  Shouldn't make assumptions.

I guess that's my point.

The American Flag is the greatest symbol of US pride.  I should be able to go to any state in the union, on any given day, and immediately know the story behind the lowered flag.  

IMO...the American Flag should never be lowered other than a death of a president, former/past.   It's too beautiful of a symbol to be lowered for anything less.  Fly it High & Proud! 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

We were ordered to lower the American flag to half staff from 7/21-7/25.

Here it is 8/3...and I STILL see businesses with a lowered flag.

Do you have any flags still lowered in your neighborhood?

My problem is not with those still flying their flags at half mast, 

it is with the ones whom it took over 5 days to decide to do so. Guess they didn't think it qualified for the lowering, for reasons known only by?..

Our personal flag was lowered on July 16, 2015, not 5+ days after the killings. And I choose when to raise it to full mast, not some  someone's that have 

to think it over for 5 days.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@VCamp2748 wrote:

I guess that's my point.

The American Flag is the greatest symbol of US pride.  I should be able to go to any state in the union, on any given day, and immediately know the story behind the lowered flag.  

IMO...the American Flag should never be lowered other than a death of a president, former/past.   It's too beautiful of a symbol to be lowered for anything less.  Fly it High & Proud! 

@sidsmom

I don't know if I agree with you, or exactly how I feel about your last post here.

I hadn't thought about it from that angle, and you have given me some food for thought. I kind of see how it can become less 'important' if you will, if we are lowering the flag for this and that, and where does it begin and where does it stop?

Then again, for significant things, like 9/11 or such, isn't it a good idea or reminder?

I just don't have my answer yet, and really didn't think there was even a question, until this post of yours. So thanks for making me think about it. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I guess that's my point.

While you are partially correct, I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over someone that may not know the rules, which are only the President or the states Governer can call for a half mast.   There are several holidays that allow for half mast as well.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*