Honored Contributor

"I hate to Think About It" Category

There is a lot of flooding in Southern New Mexico.  The Pecos River reached its highest level ever and tourists were trapped for hours Sunday in the visitors center at Carlsbad Caverns because roads were flooded.

It seems all the water has flooded the burrows in the ground where rattlesnakes like to hang out, so they're swimming in the water. People have been warned to stay out of the water as they can be aggressive.  All you need while struggling not to drown, is to be chased by a rattlesnake.

As one news reporter said, "what else are we going to have piled on us".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: "I hate to Think About It" Category

All I hear on the news are the floods in Texas.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

That's a nightmare for me, Kachina!  I hope all stay safe in the face of such a threat.

Echhh! 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

How aweful !  Please stay safe!

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

All I hear on the news are the floods in Texas.

@Mz iMac    After you've lived here awhile, you understand that New Mexico does not exist in the minds of National news media.  The rains came through here before they got to Texas, but were the worst in the Southern part of the state.

Honored Contributor

We've had a lot of rain this year that's for sure. My concern, going into the winter, is for the possible large amounts of snowfall we might be getting this year. There are some signs that it might be a very snowy winter here.

Respected Contributor

Ruidoso has had extensive flooding along the burn scar as well as other parts of the village. Two of the three major traffic arteries were closed Saturday. Only one route was available during this busy tourist season.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee    That would be a blessing for the water situation if inconvenient for Coloradans.  It might save the Colorado River and all who depend on it.

Just heard on the news that a dog was bitten by a rattlesnake in the flood water.  They didn't say what happened to it.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 ....drowning rattlesnakes in flooded water could be mean....at least those that were visiting the Carlsbad Caverns were trapped in the visitor's center instead of the caves.  Stay safe.

Respected Contributor

What a horrible situation. Hope it resolves quickly with no/few injuries or fatalities.