Honored Contributor

"Hypocrite" - are you using it correctly?

The word gets tossed around and overused a lot -- here, there, and everywhere.

Here is a link to a terrific opinion piece published in the Wall Street Journal the other day.  Yes, it used the word "political" in the title but it's really about the meaning of the word.  It doesn't just mean saying one thing and doing the opposite, it means saying one thing and doing the opposite with the intent to deceive.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hypocrite-the-all-purpose-political-insult-1441320824

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: "Hypocrite" - are you using it correctly?

I'll go with not only standard use, but the Oxford Englinsh Dictionary:

Hypocrisy

Definition of hypocrisy in English: noun (plural hypocrisies)

[mass noun]

The practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Merriam-Webster

Hypocrisy

: the behavior of people who do things that they tell other people not to do : behavior that does not agree with what someone claims to believe or feel

plural hy·poc·ri·sies
Full Definition of HYPOCRISY
:  a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially :  the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion
:  an act or instance of hypocrisy
Esteemed Contributor

Homegirl ~ I can't read the link without subscribing so the dictionary definition will have to do. It's not a tricky word and most people get the meaning pretty easily. 

I feel like maybe you're trying to imply there's another meaning from the article but, as I said, your link isn't working (at least for me).

Honored Contributor

The article seems to imply intent to deceive, which is not a necessary component.  Many people really believe they are more moral than they actually are.  Self delusion is common with hypocrisy.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pointed out that it is an "opinion piece."  No one is forcing anyone to agree.  

From oed.com

• hypocrite, n.

Pronunciation:  /ˈhɪpəkrɪt/
Forms:  ME–15 ypocrite, ipocrite, (ME ypocrit), ME–15 ypocryte, (ME epocryte, 15 ypocreit, ... (Show More)
Etymology:  < Old French ypo-, ipocrite (modern French hypocrite ), < ecclesiastical Latin ... (Show More)
 1. One who falsely professes to be virtuously or religiously inclined; one who pretends to have feelings or beliefs of a higher order than his real ones; hence generally, a dissembler, pretender.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

O/T- just popping into your thread to say hello to you Homegirl!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

The word is tossed around a great deal because there are so many hypocrites around, especially in public life. Just look at some of the noble, religious, family-values men whose names were on that Ashley Madison list.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

The word gets tossed around and overused a lot -- here, there, and everywhere.

Here is a link to a terrific opinion piece published in the Wall Street Journal the other day.  Yes, it used the word "political" in the title but it's really about the meaning of the word.  It doesn't just mean saying one thing and doing the opposite, it means saying one thing and doing the opposite with the intent to deceive.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hypocrite-the-all-purpose-political-insult-1441320824

That link goes to a hot button political opinion piece with a clear agenda.

Hmmmm.  So is saying it's not political when it clearly is political "saying one thing but doing another with the intent to deceive?" The answer is yes.  SMH.