Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Heroic Act(s)" ..and You

@TwinkleBell 

Back in the '70's when I lived in apartment, someone in the wee hours attempted to burn that building down. It had 10 apartments on 3 floors.

I woke up because it smelled like something burning. Went into the kitchen to see if my SO(now my wife) had left something on or in the Steve. Nope! So I decided to look out my apartment door.

When I opened it, all I could see was smoke. I woke up my wife and told her to get dressed as quick as she could, and grab a few things that were important to her. I did the same, but before leaving I called 911. No cell phones around in the '70's.

My apartment was on the top(2nd) floor, and right next to the steps leading down. Couldn't even see my hand in front of my face. I knew exactly how many steps there were and where the handrail was located. 

Told my now wife to put both hands on my shoulders, grab the handrail to her right, and I counted the steps till we were on the ground floor. Out the door we went. 

I opened the door and hollered as loud as I could up the stairs, and to the the 4 apartments on the main floor. I then went around pounding on all the ground level windows and patio deck sliding doors.

It was on a Saturday night, early Sunday morning. The Fire Department showed up, located the source, and put out the flames. It was a small fire on a stairway on the other side of the building.

The Fire Marshal told me, if the carpet and other things were not Flame retardant, it could have been a building destroying fire. 

Lots of smoke damage to furniture, clothes and a few other things, but I was lucky I was/am a very light sleeper.

As fate would have it. Many years later that same 10 unit apartment building burned to the ground. Cause of fire? The older man that lived in my #9 apartment, left something on the stove, which ignited his apartment on the 2nd floor.

There was only 1 fatality and that was the man that lived in the same apartment I occupied for about 7 years. I still drive by that apartment complex because it is right off the Interstate Highway. Where that building once stood is still just a plot of empty land.

hckynut  ðŸ‡ºðŸ‡¸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn    This is the certificate my father was given:

IMG_3991.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector 

How proud your family must be of your father. What a true Hero.

hckynut  ðŸ‡ºðŸ‡¸

hckynut(john)