Esteemed Contributor

Re: •••"Feels Like" Temperatures, Does It Matter?•••

Lila Belle,

The Exercise Physiologists to which I reffered are doctors. Their Specialty is Exercise, some are hired by Major Colleges to train their athletes, while others have their own practices and patients. Kinda like a Podiatrist as they specialize in feet, but they are still an MD.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Re: •••"Heat Index" & "Wind Chill", Does It Matter?•••

di-mc wrote:

I remember when weather forecasts and reports didn't have wind chill factors or heat indices.  Quite frankly, your body knows these things without some talking head discussing the.

By telling us about it the "talking heads" are 

giving us a practical scientific way to protect 

ourselves and plan for our safety @this is my nic.

👍

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Newzie, that's a great article explaining the heat index and the wind chill factor!

Thank you Smiley Happy

You're welcome @NoelSeven!

The 2 articles I posted give the science directly

from the researchers and experts in physiology 

instead of just word of mouth anecdotal 

opinions so I thought maybe some of the 

posters who asked before might be interested 

in learning.

😊

Respected Contributor

Re: •••"Feels Like" Temperatures, Does It Matter?•••

@Susan Louise wrote:

Yes, it matters to everyone..especially to those who are young/babies, elderly and those with health issues. 

I for one, a lung cancer survivor with less than 2 lungs cannot be outside if is 90+ with a heat index of over 100...I easly get light headed and dizzy after just 5 minutes. I have to stay inside because I start to hyperventilate.

As for the wind chill, the main concern of coarse is frost bite...among other possible problems. I also have a VERY hard time breathing if it is too cold! I don't have much of a problem if it is say 20 degrees..add a wind chill that brings it down to a minus 10 degree+ wind chill, I HAVE to stay inside!

I'm so glad you're a survivor @Susan Louise.❤️

Thanks for helping explain how important this can be.

I for one am grateful for this preventative and safety

info in hot and 

cold weather.

😊

Frequent Contributor

It's not neceessarily the humidity % that counts, it's the DEW POINT!  Any dew point below 60* is normally comfortable.  From 60-70* you'll begin to feel it, and a DP over 70* is YUCK!!!  I worked on a golf course here in west TN for 12 years, and stepping out of my trucks AC into that morning air was tantamount to walking into a hot shower with my clothes on!

As for wind chill, I served in the USAF in the late '60's on a missile base in North Dakota.  Nighttime temps could hit -40 with a wind of 30mph+.   Now THAT was cold!

Respected Contributor

@JDW174 wrote:

It's not neceessarily the humidity % that counts, it's the DEW POINT!  Any dew point below 60* is normally comfortable.  From 60-70* you'll begin to feel it, and a DP over 70* is YUCK!!!  I worked on a golf course here in west TN for 12 years, and stepping out of my trucks AC into that morning air was tantamount to walking into a hot shower with my clothes on!

As for wind chill, I served in the USAF in the late '60's on a missile base in North Dakota.  Nighttime temps could hit -40 with a wind of 30mph+.   Now THAT was cold!

LOL, I think heat index and wind chill only matters where it's extreme temps.  Born and raised in ND our only claim to fame is it goes from 100 below to 100 above with the heat index and wind chill of cours. Smiley Happy

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*