Honored Contributor

Re: •••"Heat Index" & "Wind Chill", Does It Matter?•••

@Sweetbay magnolia

You made me giggle.  Very succinct!

Honored Contributor

I used to have to wait out in the heat or cold for a bus and those "feel like" temperatures meant quite a lot to me when I was standing out there in either the summer sun or the winter cold wind on a mountain top in Pittsburgh where I worked.

Honored Contributor

Of course it matters.

Honored Contributor

Knowing what it feels like outside is important to me. I was just saying that I think I tolerate the cold better than the heat and humidity.
Honored Contributor

Newzie, that's a great article explaining the heat index and the wind chill factor!

Thank you Smiley Happy

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: •••"Feels Like" Temperatures, Does It Matter?•••

Re: How my body reacts to the atmosphere is not a "perception", it is a measurable physiological fact.

John, that's exactly what Newzie said.  The article goes into exactly how that occurs.

The only reason the word "perception" was used was to highlight that's how it feels to the body even though the air temp doesn't register that.  The difference is because of the body's reaction.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

I remember when weather forecasts and reports didn't have wind chill factors or heat indices.  Quite frankly, your body knows these things without some talking head discussing the.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, it matters to everyone..especially to those who are young/babies, elderly and those with health issues. 

I for one, a lung cancer survivor with less than 2 lungs cannot be outside if is 90+ with a heat index of over 100...I easly get light headed and dizzy after just 5 minutes. I have to stay inside because I start to hyperventilate.

As for the wind chill, the main concern of coarse is frost bite...among other possible problems. I also have a VERY hard time breathing if it is too cold! I don't have much of a problem if it is say 20 degrees..add a wind chill that brings it down to a minus 10 degree+ wind chill, I HAVE to stay inside!

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Re: How my body reacts to the atmosphere is not a "perception", it is a measurable physiological fact.

John, that's exactly what Newzie said.  The article goes into exactly how that occurs.

The only reason the word "perception" was used was to highlight that's how it feels to the body even though the air temp doesn't register that.  The difference is because of the body's reaction.

Noel,

I didn't read the article. I've spent probably over 100 hours in seminars and clinics given by World Renowned Exercise Physiologists. Many of them were specific to "core body temperature" in relation to exercise in both high 3 digit heat and also in 2 digits below zero in very cold climate.

All their studies and results were done by "human athletes", and the specific purpose of these studies was to determine the limits of human "core temperatures", in relation to the physical health safety and possible dangers, if any, of exercising in extremes on both ends of the body "core temperature" sprectrum.

Knowing the temperature is "a given" for anyone before exercising, or just going outside in extreme temperatures, be they hot or cold. 

Their findings in hundreds of these studies showed "wind chill or heat index", had little or nothing to do with the "core temperatures", of properly dressed athletes in relation to "Hyperthermia or Hypothermia".

What or whom someone chooses to believe? I will go with the Sports Medicine Certified Exercise Physiologists Studies, as opposed to a Meteorologist, when it comes to who knows what is safer for the human body(more specifically, my body) when it comes to dressing for temperature extremes.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

Noel,

I didn't read the article. I've spent probably over 100 hours in seminars and clinics given by World Renowned Exercise Physiologists. Many of them were specific to "core body temperature" in relation to exercise in both high 3 digit heat and also in 2 digits below zero in very cold climate.

All their studies and results were done by "human athletes", and the specific purpose of these studies was to determine the limits of human "core temperatures", in relation to the physical health safety and possible dangers, if any, of exercising in extremes on both ends of the body "core temperature" sprectrum.

Knowing the temperature is "a given" for anyone before exercising, or just going outside in extreme temperatures, be they hot or cold. 

Their findings in hundreds of these studies showed "wind chill or heat index", had little or nothing to do with the "core temperatures", of properly dressed athletes in relation to "Hyperthermia or Hypothermia".

What or whom someone chooses to believe? I will go with the Sports Medicine Certified Exercise Physiologists Studies, as opposed to a Meteorologist, when it comes to who knows what is safer for the human body(more specifically, my body) when it comes to dressing for temperature extremes.

I prefer to rely on medical professionals, i.e. doctors, and research done by scientists.

Being contrary and clinging to an outdated ideology isn't sound thinking.