Honored Contributor

Re: "Hearting" a Post Here - What Exactly Does it Mean?

IMO, the hearts can be used a couple of ways.  I use them to show agreement or support with what's been said by someone or as an acknowledgement that I've read a comment that someone has directed to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

while some have said they do, i definitely DONT heart something that i disagree with.

I don't either, @sunshine45.  I wish they had a thumbs down ICON...........really!!

@tends2dogs  That would sink this place for good.

Hearts are positive; I've seen thumbs down elsewhere, just to be mean, on the most innocent of posts.

Some posters use them because they just don't like another poster; no sense stirring up more nonsense around here.

@Cakers3- I'm with you. I wouldn't want a thumbs down either. That's a definite negative and could lead to bad feelings and worse.

I sometimes feel bad because someone posts that a loved one died and here I am giving them hearts which I equate with "like." Somehow it just seems wrong.

But I guess there's nothing that can be done without creating a negative vibe here, which we do NOT need!

“When you can laugh at yourself no one can ever make a fool of you.”

~~Joan Rivers~~

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I haven't been hearting at all ,lately. I have arm issues a,nd I just figure it is one less thing I have to do. I rest my arm as much as possible

@cherry- I'm so sorry you're having problems with your arm. I hope it will go away asap!  I swear, if it's not one thing, it's another, the older we get...

Feel better soon!

“When you can laugh at yourself no one can ever make a fool of you.”

~~Joan Rivers~~

Honored Contributor

@sunala thanks sweetie. It is getting better I just have to not overuse itHeart

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 and  @sunala  You both make a good point about the thumbs down.  This is the only forum I participate on so I have never seen the thumbs down.

I can see where it could be used just for being mean and there is often too much of that going on without it.

"I've got an old church choir singing in my soul. There ain't nothing gonna steal my joy."
Honored Contributor

I don't click on them a lot.  When I do click on it .....it's my way of saying "I agree" and often the other person said it much better than I did (or could) and with fewer words.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

I was just reading a thread where some posters here were talking about the September 11 attacks, and how it affected them.

I wanted to acknowledge that I read the post and that I understand what they were writing about, which of course was very sad. I clicked the heart, but to me it felt like I was loving what they posted, which isn't what I meant at all.

I wish there was another way to acknowledge that we read the post and that we're terribly sorry about what the poster wrote besides clicking the heart.

Any suggestions?

I always took it to mean several things: agreement, empathy, acknowledgement of a well worded comment, support for the poster, or thanks for the added information.   Take your pick. The other option is to reply.