Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: "Hearting" a Post Here - What Exactly Does it Mean?

IMO, the hearts can be used a couple of ways.  I use them to show agreement or support with what's been said by someone or as an acknowledgement that I've read a comment that someone has directed to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

while some have said they do, i definitely DONT heart something that i disagree with.

I don't either, @sunshine45.  I wish they had a thumbs down ICON...........really!!

@tends2dogs  That would sink this place for good.

Hearts are positive; I've seen thumbs down elsewhere, just to be mean, on the most innocent of posts.

Some posters use them because they just don't like another poster; no sense stirring up more nonsense around here.

@Cakers3- I'm with you. I wouldn't want a thumbs down either. That's a definite negative and could lead to bad feelings and worse.

I sometimes feel bad because someone posts that a loved one died and here I am giving them hearts which I equate with "like." Somehow it just seems wrong.

But I guess there's nothing that can be done without creating a negative vibe here, which we do NOT need!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I haven't been hearting at all ,lately. I have arm issues a,nd I just figure it is one less thing I have to do. I rest my arm as much as possible

@cherry- I'm so sorry you're having problems with your arm. I hope it will go away asap!  I swear, if it's not one thing, it's another, the older we get...

Feel better soon!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala thanks sweetie. It is getting better I just have to not overuse itHeart

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 and  @sunala  You both make a good point about the thumbs down.  This is the only forum I participate on so I have never seen the thumbs down.

I can see where it could be used just for being mean and there is often too much of that going on without it.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I don't click on them a lot.  When I do click on it .....it's my way of saying "I agree" and often the other person said it much better than I did (or could) and with fewer words.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

I was just reading a thread where some posters here were talking about the September 11 attacks, and how it affected them.

I wanted to acknowledge that I read the post and that I understand what they were writing about, which of course was very sad. I clicked the heart, but to me it felt like I was loving what they posted, which isn't what I meant at all.

I wish there was another way to acknowledge that we read the post and that we're terribly sorry about what the poster wrote besides clicking the heart.

Any suggestions?

I always took it to mean several things: agreement, empathy, acknowledgement of a well worded comment, support for the poster, or thanks for the added information.   Take your pick. The other option is to reply.