Esteemed Contributor

"Hearting" a Post Here - What Exactly Does it Mean?

I was just reading a thread where some posters here were talking about the September 11 attacks, and how it affected them.

I wanted to acknowledge that I read the post and that I understand what they were writing about, which of course was very sad. I clicked the heart, but to me it felt like I was loving what they posted, which isn't what I meant at all.

I wish there was another way to acknowledge that we read the post and that we're terribly sorry about what the poster wrote besides clicking the heart.

Any suggestions?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Re: "Hearting" a Post Here - What Exactly Does it Mean?

Yes use the reply and say what you feel.And if you do click on the heart you can just click it twice and it should remove your heart (Click).

Honored Contributor

It can mean many things...somebody agrees with you, likes what you said, acknowledges that you've read something they said about you, a thank you.  Really anything positive.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It means you agree with the post?  And no, I don't see any amendment to this particular feature on this forum.

Esteemed Contributor

Other than a nice comment....I don't know what else we could do. I don't see the mods making a change.

Valued Contributor

If you don’t want to use the heart, reply to each post

It doesn’t have to mean that you love what the post said.  It can Simply mean you read the post.  

Valued Contributor

It can mean anything positive, such as you like the post, you relate to the post, you get what the poster’s trying to say, your heart goes out to the poster (as in sympathy, etc..Someone may also heart a post out of friendship for a poster.....or even love, if that’s the case.
Honored Contributor

Don't get hung up on the heart. It's a commonly used icon to show you agree with someone.  

It doesn't mean you 'love' something.  It's just a positive response.... you like what was said, you care about the person's problem, you agree with the person, or whatever. 

Not a big deal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala

Hi, sunny!   That little heart has been the subject of much discussion since it made its debut on the Community.  Many times I agree with part of a post but not all of it, and it leaves me uncertain whether to heart it or not.   Or, I'm unsure what kind of message the heart will convey.   I understand how you feel.   The heart without elaboration can hold any number of meanings -- that's why Facebook expanded the "Like" to allow reaction/emotion specifics.     No way will this forum do anything like that, so I agree with others that our only option falls back to what we did on the old forum platform -- writing a response to the post to better communicate our feelings.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I heart for different reasons, other than just liking/agreeing with the post.