Honored Contributor

The concept's always been around, but seems to have gathered steam and supporting science in recent times.  Hard to know, without extensive reading, what to think.

Supposedly individuals, or groups, could establish residence at sea (not in boats) that would be stable, and outside of national territories.

The arguments about hurricanes, etc. have been answered by the fact that large areas of ocean are undisturbed by hurricanes, notably around the equator and other places.

Supposedly would encourage sea life, cultivation of seaweed, etc. 

Interesting!   This guy I saw was saying that for the first time it's feasible to do this so the lower income population could afford it-- in other words, it's not a rich person's dream just to avoid taxes or something.

An older example is "Sealand" a decommisioned sea fort off the coast of Britain.  Is called a "principality",  has a flag and "currency",  ha.   There's a newer example off of Thailand.

But there are all kinds of proposals for all different kinds of independent enclaves in these settlements.

From the Seasteading Institute, on Wiki:

Kooky idea, or prospect for future?   Every kind of answer to that can be found online in the fascinating pros and cons of homesteading at sea.

Honored Contributor

How to accomodate what is predicted to be overpopulated land on earth.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell @Does amazon deliver there?

Honored Contributor

Re: "HOMESTEADING" AT SEA

[ Edited ]

Interesting idea...but how is this an answer for low-income, seems expensive.  Procuring products -food etc. would be challenging.  However, I respect people who think outside-the-box and it is inventive ideas that some day might become solutions and reality.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell : How would they handle their waste? So much of the world's trash already in the oceans

Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@Oznell : How would they handle their waste? So much of the world's trash already in the oceans

That was my first thought too....I hope their sewage will be properly treated as well.I know of a city in Canada that dumps raw sewage into the ocean..they are addressing that but what took so long?

Honored Contributor

Atz Kilcher from Alaska - The Last Frontier did it for a season. 

He was on a floating barge though.

Personally, I thought it was dumb.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter--I watched a few episodes of that and thought to myself--what a selfish SOB he was--leaving his wife alone to prove ....whatever he was trying to prove---what if he fell off and drown or any number of things that would affect his family and maybe no one would know---except there were cameras there, forgot about that. well---not a fan !!

Honored Contributor

Re: "HOMESTEADING" AT SEA

[ Edited ]

Interesting concept and as mentioned in the article these are few right now.

I know that older cruise ships can be outfitted to permanent homes.

Although the ones already set up have flags and currency, my concern is that once a seastead structure is outside the domain of the mother country who would regulate it?

Or is the plan to keep each on within the waterway of the country of origin?

The seasteading organization does recognize decades of planning are needed, and that is a good point.

While the usual talking points about food, the environment, etc. are presented, we need much, much more deeper discussion and planning not just for a current structure but to take into account future concerns.  Those planning really need to be able to foresee the future.

With ocean temps and volumes rising, this concept still needs to work together with our land issues because the two will be conjoined. 

Population explosions may be temporarily alleviated but I say *may be*.

The question foremost is how many need to be built to relieve the issues facing land dwellers?? 

Although they say that these will be affordable for everyone, realistically the cost alone makes me think that these will first be the new trendy thing for those with $$.

Let's face it- people from the poorest of the poor are not going to be the first allowed.  I get a tad rankled when the environment is used as a back door way to push the poorest of the poor back into the worst of the air, water, etc.

I believe the developers have a good idea but it isn't just build and all will be well, and I do see them planning for decades and including the myriad of issues that will go along with seasteading.  As they should.

And why does that Kevin Costner movie come to mind?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

When the pirates show up, who do you call?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr