Honored Contributor

I think all the seasteads would easily get picked off by organized crime opportunists. Tiny, barely defended nations that hold themselves apart from the rest of the world have not fared well throughout history. They just get invaded.

The situation would also be ripe for some nutso to install themselves as "king of the seastead" and make everyone else liviing there suffer.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

When the pirates show up, who do you call?

@Porcelain   An important point.  What will the security be like?  Will each country be able to protect and defend their seasteaders? 

Who will patrol under the Law of the Sea?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

All these are very legit questions, I believe.  (I love yours about Amazon, @dex -- ha, ha!)

This guy I saw interviewed on C-SPAN,  Joe Quirk, has done a book on it and is heavily involved himself.  He's very glib, had an answer for all the tough questions--  yet, he's obviously an advocate for just one point of view, so, I'm left wondering.

I do happen to think it's kooky, and would never want it for myself-- yet the fanciful side of me wonders, what kind of an adventure that would be.

I also tend to fantasize about large, complex futuristic settlements in Antarctica, etc.--  fuled no doubt by Fifties' sci fi "polar research station" movies,  ha.  

Honored Contributor

We're already throw garbage into the oceans and poisoning it. That sounds like a perfect way to hasten the destruction.