Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: "Fabrication" vs. "Fabric"

[ Edited ]

I think it sounds pretentious. Back in the day, using a word like that might have been called “bougie”.

ETA: a bit of clarification

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I noticed it. To me fabrication is the manufacturing process of making the fabric. The fabric itself is the product or outcome. Apparently that has changed????

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Fabrication is a lie.

Amazed they're using this word.

That's ONE definition. The other is the construction or manufacture of something.The process of making a product. Fabric is the outcome of that manufacturing.

I think that this comes under the category of degeneration of the English language. When something is used incorrectly long enough, it becomes standard usage, which is how we got the non word irregardless and the misused word nauseous.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I thought to be a host you had to be a college graduate.  Maybe some English classes should be a required.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It cracks me up when they say something is "denim friendly" because it is blue. Who knew denim went only with blue tops and accessories?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Being in the garment industry, this is not an uncommen term.

Manufacturing process in which an item is made (fabricated) from raw or semi-finished materials instead of being assembled from ready-made components or parts.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed this too.  Just recently I've been paying attention to see if any of them ever just say "fabric"...but no they don't. It's always "fabrication".  They have been told to use this word.

I find it annoying.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@bridal_diva wrote:

Being in the garment industry, this is not an uncommen term.

Manufacturing process in which an item is made (fabricated) from raw or semi-finished materials instead of being assembled from ready-made components or parts.

I agree, I've heard it for years now on fashion shows that have nothing to do with QVC.

HSN has also used the term for years to indicate what material the garment is made of.

Example:

Fabrication:Soft, stretch jersey knit with stretch, mesh knit overlay
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Some of the words and use of words are marketing tricks.

For example, wearing a handbag, it implies many things but it's telling you that you are not fully dressed unless you wear their handbag.

You are taking marketing & consumer lingo and trying to apply logic.

Doesn't work that way

Cabinetry is the one that gets me from the rehab shows.

I think I heard it first from Candice Olson, I just figured you can charge more for "cabinetry" than simple cabinets.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Am I the only person here who suspects that at the hosts' weekly staff meetings someone announces the Word of the Week?  Each time you use that word, you get $10 ....  and this week's word is fabrication ... or denim friendly ..... or fashion forward ..... or blah blah blah ...... 

Who knows what goofy incentives they give in staff meetings?