Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: "Fabrication" vs. "Fabric"

Yes, fabrication is the wrong word, but, we all know exactly what she means to communicate so why , oh why, is this such a big deal. "Let he who is without fault cast the first stone". 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I’ve never used the word fabrication in my entire life. Never even heard it used till the hosts on the Q started using it a few years ago. 

Same with pant. My entire life I’ve said pants. I’ve never used the singular. It sounds weird to me. Also never hear pant used till the Q started using it a few years ago. 

I’ll finish with one more, veering off topic a little. I’ve always carried my purses. I near heard the term wearing a purse/handbag till here a few years ago. 

@gidgetgh

LOL .... thank you!   

Who "wears" a purse ... unless you're hanging the strap around your neck?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Fabrication is a lie.

Amazed they're using this word.

@YorkieonmyPillow Well, it's not a lie.  It's just an illiterate way to use the word.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

QVC has taken this word (fabrication) and has run with it.  Almost every host uses it. I guess it sounds fancy.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sue98 wrote:

For quite awhile now I've been hearing the hosts use the word "fabrication" rather than "fabric".  I don't recall ever hearing that word before.  Obviously they are referring to the type of fabric used in a particular piece of clothing.

Does anyone else notice this?  Why not just use the word "fabric" or does "fabrication" have a different meaning?  Just curious.

@Sue98

I've always seen the hosts use fabric and fabrication interchangably, but it doesn't sound right ... to me, anyway.   

So, I googled the words, see below.  I'm not sure if this clarifies anything .... or makes things more confusing, LOL.

Let's look at the types of fabrication processes in greater detail here:
  • Cutting. There are many ways to cut nowadays. ...
  • Folding. Some parts need to be bent. ...
  • Machining. This is the process of removing metal from a piece of material. ...
  • Punching. ...
  • Shearing. ...
  • Stamping. ...
  • Welding

fabric
noun  fab·ric  \ ˈfa-brik \
  Definition of fabric
b : underlying structure : framework 
  • the fabric of society
2: an act of constructing : erection; specifically : the construction and maintenance of a church building
3a : structural plan or style of construction
b : texture, quality used chiefly of textiles
c : the arrangement of physical components (as of soil) in relation to each other
4a : cloth 1a
b : a material that resembles cloth
5: the appearance or pattern produced by the shapes and arrangement of the crystal grains in a rock
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hmmm, I thought they just chose the longer word to eat up time! Shows how stupid I am. Woman Very Happy

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Capture.JPG

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I noticed that a long time ago.  Fabrication is a perfectly valid word but shopping channel hosts use it inappropriately.  They use fabrication when they should be saying fabric. Fabrication is "how" something is made.  We can talk about the fabrication of silk, meaning how it's made but the silk itself is a fabric.   

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

If they are talking about the fabric content, method of manufacturing or blend, i think fabrication is an appropriate term. Maybe a little awkward or unwieldy but certainly not an illiterate use of the word. It does mean "to make something".

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

From Dictionary dot com

noun

the act or process of fabricating; manufacture.
something fabricated, especially an untruthful statement: