Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

"Fabrication" vs. "Fabric"

For quite awhile now I've been hearing the hosts use the word "fabrication" rather than "fabric".  I don't recall ever hearing that word before.  Obviously they are referring to the type of fabric used in a particular piece of clothing.

Does anyone else notice this?  Why not just use the word "fabric" or does "fabrication" have a different meaning?  Just curious.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: "Fabrication" vs. "Fabric"

I noticed this years ago. I suppose the marketing department has some data which say that the longer a word, the more upscale it sounds. It’s interesting to know that most words ending in tion come from French. Perhaps adding that suffix to a perfectly good word adds panache or status. To me the word fabrication sounds phony and contrived.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Maybe I’m wrong but in the past the word “fabrication” to me referred to the manufacturing process used to create a product.  “Fabric” referred to the cloth.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Sue98@Vivian Florimond

Your observation has been mentioned before here.

Anything that sounds “off” can be rather off-putting, IMO. 

A student (foreign; ESL) once was asking me about an English term he had heard on the news. He was right; in many ways the term was wrong.

I asked DD (journalism major) and she informed me about a yearly publication having to do with journalistic accepted conventions.

Remember when harassment went from 2nd syllable accented to first syllable? HARassment?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

They have been saying this for years.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Fabrication is a lie.

Amazed they're using this word.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

This one, along with "colorways" instead of just saying "colors" drives me nuts.  Colorways, give me a break.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

Maybe I’m wrong but in the past the word “fabrication” to me referred to the manufacturing process used to create a product.  “Fabric” referred to the cloth.  

Yes; but some here work themselves into a dither when they hear the hosts use the word.  I will say though that some uninformed hosts use the words interchangeably, but the words are not interchangeable.

“One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.” ~ Plato
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

This is a word I’ve heard from various people not just on QVC when fashions are shown. It seems to be a common usage, right or wrong.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve never used the word fabrication in my entire life. Never even heard it used till the hosts on the Q started using it a few years ago. 

Same with pant. My entire life I’ve said pants. I’ve never used the singular. It sounds weird to me. Also never heard pant used till the Q started using it a few years ago. 

I’ll finish with one more, veering off topic a little. I’ve always carried my purses. I never heard the term wearing a purse/handbag till here a few years ago. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?