Honored Contributor

Re: "Expired" eggs in fridge? Eat? How long is too long?

@deeva wrote:

I've eaten yogurt a week past expiration without any problems. But eggs three months old, no way.

Reminds me of the question, how do you know when sour cream goes bad?   It's sour, right.

I would have no idea when yogurt is bad, LOL

Respected Contributor

Another test is if the white of the egg flattens out it is not fresh. Whites should stand up and have shape. I cook my older eggs up and give them to my dogs on occasion. It is supposed to be good for their coats.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve used eggs up to 2 weeks past the expiration date. Never had them longer than that. 

Honored Contributor

Check to see if they float. If they float, throw them out.  If not, okay to eat.

Trusted Contributor

this is what I do when in doubt, put eggs in a  pot/bowl, fill with  cold water, if any float throw out, if they sink still edible, the date throws everyone off

Honored Contributor

Most of the eggs I've been eating lately have been beyond their stamped date.  I'd say about a month is the longest.  

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@deeva wrote:

I've eaten yogurt a week past expiration without any problems. But eggs three months old, no way.

Reminds me of the question, how do you know when sour cream goes bad?   It's sour, right.

I would have no idea when yogurt is bad, LOL

oh you would know if sour cream or your yogurt went bad......pink film on the top, green mold spots.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

NO!!!  Do yourself a favor and throw them away.

I ended up with food poisoning from spoiled eggs and I would not wish that on anyone.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361   Yes you would know if they are bad.  I have always cracked eggs in a small bowl before using for anything no matter if they were just bought.  An egg that is no good will have a thick flat yolk that heavily plops and looks disgusting.  I always have a lot of eggs  since I bake a lot.  Last year I broke several bones in my arm and couldn't bake for Christmas and at least 6 mon later they were still good and used them for boiled, scrambled or fried eggs as well as a few pound cakes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use eggs after the expiration date.   

There are usually at least 4-6 dozen eggs in the refrigerator at all times; numbered in the order they are to be used, and very rarely are we eating eggs past expiration dates.  

2-3 weeks would be my limit, and I would be cooking them for my dogs after that.