Contributor

Re: "EMERGENCY" ITEMS YOU KEEP IN YOUR CAR?

I have everything that you have all mentioned, believe me, in my trunk.   However, I have something no one has mentioned.......I have a Black and Decker vacuum that plugs into the cigarette lighter.   

That vacuum came in very handy when I returned to my car when I was parked in the Menlo Park Mall in NJ.   Some idiots decided to break my driver side window and I had shards of glass all over the place.  I plugged that thing in and I even attached a drinking straw at the end, and sucked in every piece of glass.   That when the police arrived, they were shocked to see not one piece of glass remaining.   

Honored Contributor

@irbrenda wrote:

I have everything that you have all mentioned, believe me, in my trunk.   However, I have something no one has mentioned.......I have a Black and Decker vacuum that plugs into the cigarette lighter.   

That vacuum came in very handy when I returned to my car when I was parked in the Menlo Park Mall in NJ.   Some idiots decided to break my driver side window and I had shards of glass all over the place.  I plugged that thing in and I even attached a drinking straw at the end, and sucked in every piece of glass.   That when the police arrived, they were shocked to see not one piece of glass remaining.   

@irbrenda 

That's funny .... but why did you have the vacuum handy in your car?    Messy kids?    Messy fur babies? 

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

Living in the Metro DC area with the Beltway, you have to be prepared to be stuck for long periods of time.  Last week, a cement truck overturned and those cars were stuck for hours.

I always make sure that I have a plastic container with a lid, along with a blanket.  If you are stuck, you are always able to do a quick tinkle.  I learned that the hard way.

Another thing that you don't often think about...make sure, along with your identification, that you keep a card noting that you have a pet home alone and their name.  Also add what your pet eats and how often in case you become incapacitated in any way.

@Tinkrbl44  Very important thread, thank you.

@Mersha 

I have an old Rubbermaid jar with screw on lid that's going in my trunk.  Funny, my sister has always kept something like this in her car and has been glad to have it several times ... but never for a quick tinkle.  Always something else.  LOL  Woman LOL