Honored Contributor

"EMERGENCY" ITEMS YOU KEEP IN YOUR CAR?

[ Edited ]

I've been meaning to ask this question here for ages.  

Of course, it depends on many things .... how much driving you do, the climate in your area, and health concerns.

Personally, I've always kept in my trunk emergency water, a blanket and a ziploc bag of almonds for sustenance, rotated with fresher almonds every now and then.

A few years ago I bought one of those tools that can not only cut open a stuck seatbelt, but could also break a window for immediate escape.  Haven't used it, but glad I have it.

When I moved to SoCal, I learned that keeping a pair of walking shoes in the trunk could be critical if there was an earthquake and roads split ... and I had to walk home.

So .........  

What do YOU have in your car that you consider important "emergency" items?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "EMERGENCY" ITEMS YOU KEEP IN YOUR CAR?

@Tinkrbl44 Very good question!   I have the same "gizmo" thing that cuts the belt or breaks the window.  I bought my kids each one years ago as a Christmas gift.  You just never know what can happen out there, especially the way people drive today.  I also keep a blanket, matches and a candle in case of being stranded (I live in New England) and a candle can literally keep you from freezing to death.   As far as snacks I never leave the house without granola bars or nuts, DH gets hypo glycemic very easily.

Honored Contributor

Great thread @Tinkrbl44 .  My husband always tells me I need to keep a blanket during the colder months in the event of an emergency.

The only thing I always make sure I have is my mobile phone and water.  I need to get one of those window breaking devices too.

I won't drive with out my phone with me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Inflated spare tire...duh

Battery jumper device (like a HALO thing).

Army blanket (wool will keep you warm even if it gets wet)

Snow boots, hat, mittens.

Shovel.

Auto glass breaker tool.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Living in the Metro DC area with the Beltway, you have to be prepared to be stuck for long periods of time.  Last week, a cement truck overturned and those cars were stuck for hours.

I always make sure that I have a plastic container with a lid, along with a blanket.  If you are stuck, you are always able to do a quick tinkle.  I learned that the hard way.

Another thing that you don't often think about...make sure, along with your identification, that you keep a card noting that you have a pet home alone and their name.  Also add what your pet eats and how often in case you become incapacitated in any way.

@Tinkrbl44  Very important thread, thank you.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

My daughter gave me one of those window breaker seatbelt cutter gizmos that is a keychain attachement so I always have it with me and know where it is.

I always have water also and usually a blanket and a battery jumper.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, we hardly never have snow here and if they're predicting it, I stay home so I don't have snow stuff with me.

In my car though I keep an extra cell phone car charger, a pair of gloves, an insulated outdoors wide headband and a scarf.  I'm always in comfortable shoes that I can walk in.

I think that's about it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

l always keep a couple of old blankets and towels , more for others if l came across a car crash for the victims . 

Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't snow here, rains occasionally. I think I have a towel. If I was going up to Flagstaff or someplace cold I put in a blanket and I take food and water. I don't drive where there are no services or stores within easy reach and I always have my phone. 

Honored Contributor

Oh!   One more thing I have in my car ....

A battery operated flashlight that not only has a strong light, but also flashes like a strobe light to get attention.   

I think I got it on QVC a few years ago, lol.