Respected Contributor

Re: "Dateline" - Who are these ppl??

[ Edited ]

@sabatini 

"@Terrywu wrote:

I do like true crime stories also.  But prior to the crime do any of those victims clean their homes? JMO

HAHAHA, @Terrywu!! 

My sister has made fun of me before, because that's what I do! Clean up the house, just in case I get killed in the middle of the night. LOL!

That usually happens if I've watched a particularly frightening true crime show, or if I have the heebie-jeebies for no apparent reason. 

I'll straighten up the house and give the kitchen & bathrooms and quick clean.

I've even wiped doorknobs and faucets, just to be sure they're ready to be touched by my killer. The cops will get a nice, clean print. Smiley LOL

If Keith Morrison is coming to my house, God knows I want it to look nice!

Muddling through..."

I am going to make sure that if I am going to get killed it will happen in a nice clean hotel room.Smiley Surprised
Respected Contributor

LOL, @lgfanWoman LOL

Muddling through...
Super Contributor

My elderly father loves Dateline so we watch it often. Honestly, it has become very boring to me because it's all so predictable.

99% of the time someone ends up dead partly due to their own poor choices.  I am NOT blaming a victim and saying they deserve being murdered, but there are consequences in life for choices. We watched one Dateline recently about a college girl who went missing after being dropped off at a park by her Uber driver at 2 am. Turns out she secretly was funding her lifestyle by selling herself to several "sugar daddies" online. Her last guy murdered her.

Another will portray someone as being a such a wonderful person, then you find out they were in the process of getting divorced, still living with their husband, but going out to bars to meet other men?  Again, nobody deserves to be killed but these crimes aren't hard to figure out.

Valued Contributor

I'm also a Dateline and 20/20 fan, and what amazes me is the number of spouses who murder their partners for the INSURANCE MONEY and think they'll get away with it.

And of course, there's the extra-marital affair that motivates them to commit such a horrible crime, that oftentimes results in their children being orphaned and traumatized.

Not to mention the women who go jogging alone on deserted streets or in the park at night, or very early in the morning - Seriously, why take such chances in this day and age??!!

Respected Contributor

@busymom22 and @LavernLuvsShoes, ITA with you both.

Naturally, there are horrible, random crimes where a victim is in the wrong place/wrong time, etc., etc.

But for many crimes, poor choices surely do create huge problems.

Also, cluelessness is a major factor in some.

I recently saw an old Dateline, and the guilty guy was a total monster. His wife spoke through much of the show, and I'm sorry, but that woman was clueless at best, incredibly stupid at worst.

Red flags were EVERYWHERE.

Her daughter went missing. Her (fairly new) BF was the last said to have seen her.

Woman was distraught, then BF said 'let's go to Vegas!'. When she replied that she was worried about missing daughter, BF said 'eh, she's an adult and will turn up'.

So she goes to Vegas with him ... and they get married!

He takes her camping on their honeymoon.

Ultimately, it's eventually discovered that he'd only taken her there so he could check on the deceased body of said daughter, who was buried nearby.

Later, a creepy, decrepit, old uncle of (the now) DH moves in with them.

Has lots of cash with him from divorce settlement.

He goes missing too.

DH tells wife that uncle met a gal, and they went off together on some adventure.

She buys it.  Smiley Surprised

All along the way, there were check forgeries, etc., that the wife just took in stride.

Unbelievable!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I recall, many years ago, hearing about a woman jogger who went jogging alone in some hills, and was fatally attacked by a mountain lion.

Also, wasn't murdered Shandra Levy jogging late at night in a tree-wooded area where there were at least two murders. ?  I'm not sure about the exact facts (keep in mind).

Not blaming the victims, just warning folks to be careful when/where they jog, walk, etc.  

Just a reminder for all of us.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Make-UP Maiden, House Cat: 

Well said.

While driving, do not engage.  They can follow a driver home.........

Be a calm race horse, with 'side-blinders'.  

Occasionally check your rear view mirror on your way home.

Keep as safe and comfortable as possible without too much fear.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi @ROMARY   Woman Happy
Wonderful golden nuggets to remember. And presented so simply; Easy to remember.
Thanks!      pic--Smiley-Gal-ThumbsUp-PAINT.jpg
Esteemed Contributor

@STYLE wrote:

BAD THINGS DO HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE.  I'VE HAD TWO NEIGHBORS SEND THEIR KIDS OFF TO COLLEGE AND GET MURDERED WHILE THERE.  

@STYLE 

That's horrifying.  Was this two separate incidents or were they together?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The show is centered around people who get murdered by people they know.  Often the "secrets" are not a big deal.  This method is the most common way people are murdered.  Not by some fiendish stranger.  Just the stranger you know. Since the time that murders start....the police start with the family of the murdered victim. From the original network show, it got syndicated all over the networks. And it could happen to anyone.  

Honored Contributor

What I like best on Dateline are the cold case stories where some dogged detectives actually solve a case years and years later.  Some because DNA technology has advanced so much and some because some crucial clue or piece of evidence was not investigated thoroughly or tested in the lab.