Regular Contributor

🌇"Dancing" copper towers offer luxury and peace of mind

I think architecture is interesting. Maybe the concepts can be used elsewhere too!

http://newatlas.com/american-copper-buildings-shop-architects/48869/

"Clad in 4.25 million pounds (1.9 m kg) of copper, the luxury residential buildings lean, in a way likened to dancing by the firm. They're also built with flooding in mind and will keep residents supplied with electricity should the grid go offline.

Their distinctive angled design isn't purely aesthetic but helps to maximize the view. Whatever, they look fantastic, and it'll be interesting for locals to watch them change color over time as the copper oxidizes.

The project was planned in the wake of Hurricane Sandy and aims to offer residents a degree of security should serious flooding or another disaster leave the area without power again (not an impossibility, it seems, given the towers' location along Manhattan's East River waterfront).

A space originally intended for a penthouse suite was given over to five gas-powered emergency generators that will offer residents enough electricity to continue to run their fridges, charge mobile devices, etc – plus use the elevator – for at least a week following a power outage.

Heating and ventilation systems, and other important equipment, are installed far above street-level to lessen the risk of flood water ruining them. Furthermore, the copper cladding starts at 20 ft (6 m) so won't be submerged – and thus damaged – even during a serious flood."

Regular Contributor

Re: 🌇"Dancing" copper towers offer luxury and peace of mind

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

It looks interesting from the outside but I don't care for the interior.I wonder what it will be like with the sun reflecting off those buildings before they patina?

Honored Contributor

Freaky!  The foyer freaks me out!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

@Pruett I love modern architecture!

Thanks for posting this.

Very interesting!Smiley Happy

It could look weird after the building oxidizes.

I guess they like that aspect of it.

I love copper.