Honored Contributor

"DILBERT", REPORTING FROM DEEP WITHIN THE BUREAUCRACY

Years ago, hubby introduced me to "Dilbert",  the comic strip.  Of course, engineers in big impersonal multinational corporations would like Dilbert.  But I immediately did too, having put in my own time in state jobs that were big unwieldy bureaucracies.

Screenshot_2020-01-28 52545ef7eab8ea664e4aa51e (JPEG Image, 700 × 218 pixels).png

This one above is classic-- there's the annoying, pompous pronouncement on high from the boss, then there's the skewering bad news from the cheeky employee in the pink dress, and the deflating punchline from another. 

I've always wondered how Scott Adams got the idea to draw some of his people with pointed, triangular hair?  It's brilliant, along with some other funny little effects he does, like the upturned ties.  Contributes to the madcap absurdity of the strip.

Here's one more:

52545f5ceab8eaef504aa526.jpg

Silly fun.  An appealing quality I've noticed with engineers in general is they're keenly aware of the stereotypes of them, and quite a few enjoy spoofing themselves.   I love Scott Adams. 

Respected Contributor

Re: "DILBERT", REPORTING FROM DEEP WITHIN THE BUREAUCRACY

L O V E  Dilbert.  I have a stuffed Dilbert toy in my office, have had it since mid 1990s.   He is hysterical, because so much is so true (if exaggerated ever so slightly).

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I keep a Dilbert calendar on my kitchen table, so I have a laugh with my morning tea

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Dilbert is a classic, love him.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

Dilbert is a classic, love him.

Us, too!  🤣👍🏻❤️

Honored Contributor

DH is a Dibert fan and he can identify with the characters and the corporate bureaucracy!  He was an engineer for decades. 

Over the years being married to an engineer one appreciates how everything has to be practical! LOL!

Honored Contributor

That first cartoon is so TRUE they captured the essence of the Executive Management and the "corporate spin" for many companies, including the one I work for....Woman LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I so agree, @Peaches McPhee and @Spurt ,  the impact of the strip is that the ludicrous situations depicted are so close to being true-to-life, even as absurd as they are!

Love the way he exposes the folly of 'groupthink', with just a few quick thrusts...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

That cartoon is real life.  Or rather, it was for me.  When I was very young, there was one person I worked for, a lower-level young executive, so full of himself.  He insisted on being treated like royalty.

One day his wife called with an emergency at home.  I took the call, and knocked on the door of the conference room where His Majesty was having a meeting.  Followed protocol.  Waited to be told to enter.  Followed protocol, “Excuse me.  I am sorry to interrupt, Mr. X.  But your wife called with a message.  Your  kitchen is on fire.”  Boy, did he move fast!  This is one story I will never forget!

I once heard a story about a famous author visiting Syracuse (noted for their literary program).  Once his talk was finished and questions were allowed, one student asked “Where do you get your ideas from?”  The author quickly answered, “From real life.”

And when I met and married my DH, he was fresh out of grad school with two degrees in physics, hired to work on the Apollo Program as an engineer.  Scads of engineers there, all so young.  Heavy glasses, short-sleeved shirts, and those plastic pocket protectors in shirt pockets.  I have friends who also married engineers, and there are many funny stories.  If anything mechanical doesn’t work right, they go nuts.  Love their gadgets and gizmos.  Curiously, my friends and I are completely opposite personalities from these guys.  And all still married after so many years.  They do love very deeply.

Esteemed Contributor

Dilbert is a classic. The hair on Dilbert's boss reminds me of horns. I wonder if its' suppose to represent that. Woman LOL

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain