Honored Contributor

Re: "DADS ON DUTY" CALMED A SHREVEPORT HIGH SCHOOL

@Oznell What a wonderful story!

It gave me chills just reading about it. Wouldn't it be great if every high school had Dads on Duty?!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story Oznell. Volunteer service given can provide amazing results.

Esteemed Contributor

What a great idea. ❤️

Honored Contributor

To your points,  @haddon9  and  @on the bay ,   it was mentioned later in the piece that the Dads want the concept to go state-wide, and national as well. 

Parents are so essential, and the more they're involved, the better, in my book.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell,

That would be wonderful!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks for posting.  Wonderful story, wonderful men, and a school and community feeling safe.  Best news of the day.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

I would assume they would have had to pass background checks and be fingerprinted as anyone who works or is in close proximity to minors is required. I hope their making this effort will inspire other dads in other cities to do the same. It's clear one resource officer in a big school cannot do everything. I am sure these dads are seeing first hand how things have changed since they were in school.

We have a program at our elementary school called " Read to me, Grandpa". Retired men volunteer and read storybooks to K-2 students. Everyone benefits.

Honored Contributor

I agree, @Duckncover --  the school would have safety protocols and vetting in place for all community members who come in contact with minors.   All institutions seem to have that now-- even our church has vetting and mandatory training programs for any volunteers working with kids in Sunday School, VBS, outreach events, etc.

The key for me in this, and what I appreciate so much, is the kids' reactions--  that boy who said "I have a feeling of safety now".  Almost makes you want to cry.   Most kids want structure, in my opinion, and the strength and leadership that good male role models can bring.  Especially for those from father-absent homes, kids can see positive, encouraging examples of manhood, which is so beneficial.

Trusted Contributor

I love this. 

To some degree, men have been marginalized, made to feel they’re not important. Of course, they’re very important and needed and this story is a nice example of that. 

Honored Contributor

What a wonderful service these dads are providing to the school and the community. I know many parents these days who care deeply about the safety and education of their children. Stand up for what you believe in parents and fight for it. Speak up and voice your opinions and concerns. 

These are really tough times, no parent should have to worry about their child being shot, injured, bullied, or raped at school.