Respected Contributor

"Celebration of Life" Service?

Is the term Celebration of Life used instead of Funeral Service?

Is a Celebration of Life a religious service? I'm guessing that the families decide about the format and content. I know the deceased person has been cremated. This Celebration will take place in a church. 

Respected Contributor

Re: "Celebration of Life" Service?

I usually see Celebration of Life used in lieu of memorial service or funeral. Usually the person has been cremated, but that's just what I have observed personally. If it is on a church, then I am sure a minister will preside, but families seem to be taking more of an active part in some of these services now. I would send a beautiful peace lily to the family's home or to the church. 

Honored Contributor

It can be anything the family wants it to be.  It's usually  sometimr after burial or cremation. Sometimes there's a church service followed by reception in which people pay tribute to the loved one.  They share remembrances, tell funny stories.  We held one last summer for my sister who died in the early days of Covid.  She was cremated.  Funerals were not allowed.  The world was on lovkdown.  My sister did not believe in organized religion so there was no church service.  The celebration of life was more like a family reunion or birthday party.  We gathered to give thanks for having her in our lives.  I liked meeting and hearing remembrances from her friends who I had never met but she had spoken of them often.  We played music that she liked and her friend made the apple custard pies that my sister was famous for.  

Super Contributor

In some cases, "Celebration of Life" is the same thing as a funeral. I have been to two in the last couple of months. One was in a church and was just like a funeral. The other was held at a restaurant and was just a party with no formal program. In both cases, the families asked that a donation to a charity be given in lieu of flowers, so we did so. 

Honored Contributor

@PreKteacher   The Celebration of life that was held in a restaurant, was it something like an open house and people came and went as they pleased?  Was there any kind of formal speech given?  I ask only beause a friend is facing a death of her husband, they (he) does not want a formal funeral but feel they should do 'something'. Thanks.

Super Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Yes, it was like an open house for 3 hours and there were no speeches. We went for about 20 minutes and talked a few minutes to each of the family members that we know personally. They had a display of pictures of the deceased near the entrance to the private room, which was nice. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi 

I prefer seeing that phrase over the century old funeral services. Several of the more recent deaths of friends, or their family members, used the word celebrate.

I see it as a positive for the families and relatives of the one deceased. I have spoken at 2 church services when then those gathered were asked: "does anyone want to share stories about"!

Many family members and friends would never had known some of these parts of the life of their departed one, had not others got up and told them. Most stories help add a little happiness to day which otherwise would be exclusively sadness.

The mourning is never lessened, but many present will now know more of the good and happy things, about how their deceased lived during their life. I think many at these gatherings have stories, but are too shy, or not comfortable speaking to a crowd of mostly those they do not know.

My mother died 54 years ago, and I remember almost every person I knew, that took the time to come to her last service. It is etched in my brain that they were there in my time of need. They were there for myself and my family, which I believe is the purpose of going to a service, whatever phrase is used. These are mostly for those still living, and showing respect for the deceased, by doing so.  

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn Very meaningfully stated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi

I understand that celebration of life can be any religion or culture and familites trying to focus more on that persons life and what they meant to everyone rather than the sorrow of their death.

I have noticed it especially in the past few decades and has become a way to honor the person they loved the best way they think.

Also I think it can be more uplifting and comforting to the families.

The way of the funeral whether burial or otherwise does not come into it. It can be anything the families and friends want. Sometimes making a toast in a bar, playing music, singing songs, poems, giving stories or remembrances of times shared; what that person meant to them, anything!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Celebration of Life instead of funeral services is used a lot now days.  People celebrate the persons life and not their death.

The celebration can be anything, at a church, at a home, at restaurants, etc.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)