Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Catching Something" in the Hospital

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@MyGirlsMom, do you have allergies?  I think they are really bad this year.  My son suffers from them severely.

I'm starting to wonder if that's not my problem.  I never thought I had allergies but I have been miserable lately.  Stuffy nose, minor ear pain, etc.  My nose is so dry feeling it's painful.  I've had a headache almost everyday behind that is either behind an eye or it starts with pain/pressure in my nose and then goes across the front of my head.  It has been horrible.  

Yes, I do suffer from seasonal allergies.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee I don't think they would think you were weird but they would probably think you had something contagious.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@SilleeMee I don't think they would think you were weird but they would probably think you had something contagious.

Or something! LOL!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Has anyone ever "picked up" something at the doctor's office or hospital?  

I'm fighting a bug.  I use the hand sanitizer, wipe off the handles on supermarket carts, try not to touch hard surfaces , etc. 

How would somone know if they caught a bug at the doctor's office?  Infections and viruses don't announce their orgins...lol   Those things help but not for air borne viruses.  You know what they call people who never get sick?  Dead....

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Has anyone ever "picked up" something at the doctor's office or hospital?  

I'm fighting a bug.  I use the hand sanitizer, wipe off the handles on supermarket carts, try not to touch hard surfaces , etc. 

How would somone know if they caught a bug at the doctor's office?  Infections and viruses don't announce their orgins...lol   Those things help but not for air borne viruses.  You know what they call people who never get sick?  Dead....

I won't bother to answer with facts and statistics, because I don't think you would get it. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

It's entirely possible.  There or at the store, or work.

I work at home. I got my flu shot today.  It takes about two weeks to work, about the same time I have to work in the office for a day.

People hacking, sneezing, coughing.... no covering their face. I cringe every time I have to work in the office.

Flu shots are mandatory where I work.  Only people with accpetable medical reasons can opt out.  And the reason has to be documented by our occupational health dept.  Not getting a flu shot by specific date is cause for immediate termination and yet, every year a couple of people get fired for it.  It's been 10 years or so and it did cut back on all that hacking and sneezing and snorting all over the office.  There's still some because people do get colds and strangley......the same people who will take a day off to go shopping or go to the beach.....will drag their snotty bodies into the office when they should be home getting well.  It's bizarre!  I work at home 3, sometimes 4 days a week and I think I'll be healthier because of it.  It's no just the sick people at work, it's also the sick people on the commuter trains.

Honored Contributor

Some people don't get paid sick leave.  I don't like it but I can understand why they drag their "snotty bodies" to work or the subway, they need to put food on the table for their family.

Honored Contributor

From the CDC Re: 2016/2017 flu season.

While current U.S. flu activity is low overall, in the past 2 weeks CDC has received reports of a small number of localized influenza outbreaks. This is not unusual for September. It is not possible to make any predictions about the timing or severity of the upcoming influenza season based on these outbreaks.

CDC recommends a yearly flu vaccine for everyone 6 months and older. You should try to get your flu vaccine anytime between now and the end of October, if possible. Flu vaccination can reduce flu illnesses and prevent flu-related hospitalizations. Flu vaccines have been updated for the 2016-2017 season. More than 60 million doses of seasonal influenza vaccine have been distributed at this time.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Some people don't get paid sick leave.  I don't like it but I can understand why they drag their "snotty bodies" to work or the subway, they need to put food on the table for their family.

There is this - I have had several friends who worked many years with zero benefits. One friend in particular who was prone to frequent serious lung infections. And no one sent her home.

The other aspect is your employer talking out of both sides of his mouth - on the one hand giving the "stay home when you're sick!" spiel a hospital has to do, but not really meaning it, because if you stayed home 5 days (the usual amount of time I'm the most drippy, snotty & hacking) your supervisor and co-workers would hate you - and if you had two such bouts in a year you were reprimanded and denied a raise for that year. Nice, huh?

People shouldn't flippantly toss off the notion that it's simple and easy to "just stay home."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

There is this - I have had several friends who worked many years with zero benefits. One friend in particular who was prone to frequent serious lung infections. And no one sent her home.

The other aspect is your employer talking out of both sides of his mouth - on the one hand giving the "stay home when you're sick!" spiel a hospital has to do, but not really meaning it, because if you stayed home 5 days (the usual amount of time I'm the most drippy, snotty & hacking) your supervisor and co-workers would hate you - and if you had two such bouts in a year you were reprimanded and denied a raise for that year. Nice, huh?

People shouldn't flippantly toss off the notion that it's simple and easy to "just stay home."

I'm very pleased this is not the case in NYC! People can stay home when they are sick.  I can't speak for any other state or municipality but in New York it's the law (sick leave).

*Call Tyrone*