Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Catching Something" in the Hospital

@sunshine45 wrote:

i had said this on a different thread recently (a housewife thread), but i remember anytime i was pregnant i avoided hospitals and tried not to linger in doctors offices when possible. hospitals and emergency rooms are filled with germs. i never encourage my 76 year old mom to visit anyone in the hospital because i dont want her to get sick.

it is bad enough when you have kids and they bring all of the school germs home. Smiley Frustrated

i recently got back from vacation and got sick the very next day (fever, bad cough, heavy chest, weakness, fatigue) and i RARELY get sick. i was so glad that it didnt hit until i got home. of course, i could have gotten that from the plane ride.

@sunshine45

It was almost guaranteed that when I took my girls in for their shots, the next day or two, they would be sick with a fever, runny nose, cough, etc. UGH!

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Trusted Contributor

Many of our doctors offices have sign posted at check-in.  If you have any cough, sniffle or think you are coming down with something they give you a face mask and insist you keep it on until you leave the building.  Places with possibly contagious sick people are the best places to go if you want to catch something contagious.  That includes grocery stores, mall, any place people gather.  I am a great gram but back in the day when I had my son's my pediatrician told me to pick and chose but expose them to germs carefully.  He felt they needed to build up an immunity in stages before they started kindergarten.  He also gave me permission to go from breast milk to whole milk.  Twice a week I was at the farm at 5:30AM with my glass gallon bottles to get milk from the bulk tank while it was churning so I did not upset the butter milk content.  The boys are in 50s now and have been healthy all their life.  Excellent bone density, teeth, etc.  I guess the old time doctors and my grandmother knew what they were talking about.  Old wives tales can be full of truths.

Honored Contributor

I never have yearly check-ups during flu seasons and/or Winter.  When the office calls/leaves a message for an 'exam', I ask them why would 'halfway healthy me' go into their office for a check-up during flu and cold season?.....They really never have an answer, lol.  .....Also, not having a 'family' practice doc helps, too.   Kids aren't as concerned with germs as maybe adults are.  Better to not be in offices that specialize kids (family practice).  Well, wishing us all germ-free doc's offices, especially in waiting rooms. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

I was in the hospital twice within the last 8 months. I never caught anything. I was careful to never step on the floors without putting on my slippers, and I washed my hands ALL the time. However, I have been on planes and almost every time get sick -- no matter how much I wash. I think planes are a TON more disgusting that hospitals. I had some visitors too, and they never got sick either. I think it's helpful to go visit people when they are hospitalized and sick. It's a long boring day in the hospital. I wouldn't be worried about catching anything. I just don't even think of that.

Honored Contributor

Farm life is fairly healthy life.  I've known lots of farming people who lived extremly long and healthy lives, without much medical intervention.  I guess that's why I've always thought that nature often heals/cures more or less.  Therefore, more research is needed in using our own bodies to cure ourselves.  It can be done.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom, do you have allergies?  I think they are really bad this year.  My son suffers from them severely.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's too early to get a flu shot and the best time is around 1st week of Nov which should carry you through to when flu season peaks which isn't until the Spring of the following year.  Also, flu shots usually only give you about 50% immunity anyway so why get them too early?  About getting sick at a doctor's office, clinic or hospital - yes, it's possible.  

Honored Contributor

This planet is filled with exact balances.  In nature, whether animal, human, or growing (plants, etc.).  It's amazing when we stop to think about it. How did this planet have such exact balance in every living form? 

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@MyGirlsMom, do you have allergies?  I think they are really bad this year.  My son suffers from them severely.

Hi, @itiswhatitis

Yes I do, also spring allergies. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just an FYI, don't touch magazines in the waiting room, they are said to be really nasty with germs.  

Also don't use your finger for the elevator, put something over it like your sleeve.

@MyGirlsMom