Honored Contributor

Re: "Catching Something" in the Hospital

@Noel7 wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

Restaurant menus-- another nasty, germ-ridden item that we don't often think can make us sick. We handle the menu, then we handle our food. Yuck! I always use hand sanitizer after handling the menu, before l touch any food. I don't think that's being a germophobe-- just being cautious.

I'm glad you brought that up, you're right @handygal2

A real eye-opener for me was watching something (on the news??) about effective and totally ineffective ways for restaurant table bussers to clean and disinfect a table after customers have left. They did a hidden camera thing.

Most of them simply used wet rags, which just spread whatever might be there all over, including from table to table. The only correct way is to use a spray disinfectant and some sort of disposable "rag", i.e. paper towels or anything only used once. I have seen restaurants do this, too. 

I find myself happening to notice this kind of thing more now, and feeling a lot better about the places that "do it right."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

Yes!  I've seen that nasty rag thing done many times and thought the same thing.  They're just taking the mess from one table to another.

Here's another thing... salt and pepper shakers.  Do they ever wash them or do they just refill them?  There is often visible gunk on them.  Ewwww Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

Hey, Noel.  Love the Delicata squash.  Bought two, and I'll go back for more.  Excellent price, too.  Thanks for the alert.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Right or wrong, using hand sanitizers or those packets of antibacterial towels (in restaurants) are very handy.  We have to do what we have to do.  Take the least of two alternatives.  Yucky bacterial germs vrs. antibacterial wipes/sanitizers. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Hey, Noel.  Love the Delicata squash.  Bought two, and I'll go back for more.  Excellent price, too.  Thanks for the alert.

Hi @ROMARY

I'm thrilled you tried one AND liked it Woman LOL

I just slice it down the length and bake it in the oven.  Sometimes with savory like a little Parmesan cheese and an herb, sometimes cinnamon and nutmeg or ginger.  Delicious and low in calories.

Honored Contributor

OMGosh......Cinnamon and nutmeg or ginger!!  Great idea.  Thanks Heart   

Honored Contributor

I thought I had only caught a cold, when I was at the outpatient surgery center in January for my last cataract surgery, but after lasting for almost 3 mos., it turned into bronchitis!  I was so sick, and thought I was never going to get well!

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

Restaurant menus-- another nasty, germ-ridden item that we don't often think can make us sick. We handle the menu, then we handle our food. Yuck! I always use hand sanitizer after handling the menu, before l touch any food. I don't think that's being a germophobe-- just being cautious.

A real eye-opener for me was watching something (on the news??) about effective and totally ineffective ways for restaurant table bussers to clean and disinfect a table after customers have left. They did a hidden camera thing.

Most of them simply used wet rags, which just spread whatever might be there all over, including from table to table. The only correct way is to use a spray disinfectant and some sort of disposable "rag", i.e. paper towels or anything only used once. I have seen restaurants do this, too. 

I find myself happening to notice this kind of thing more now, and feeling a lot better about the places that "do it right."

@Moonchilde

This is a favorite pet peeve of my brother-in-law when it comes to restaurants and germs. Some servers will deliver your drink with their fingers clasped around the top of the glass...exactly where you would put your mouth. It drove him so crazy, my sister had to finally tell him to knock it off, as if we knew all that went on in restaurants, we probably would never eat out again. 

The dragging the dirty rag from one table to another was already one of my biggies! Soooo gross.

Honored Contributor

@jackiejenny wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@Moonchilde

This is a favorite pet peeve of my brother-in-law when it comes to restaurants and germs. Some servers will deliver your drink with their fingers clasped around the top of the glass...exactly where you would put your mouth. It drove him so crazy, my sister had to finally tell him to knock it off, as if we knew all that went on in restaurants, we probably would never eat out again. 

The dragging the dirty rag from one table to another was already one of my biggies! Soooo gross.

@jackiejenny

Feel free to tell your BIL someone else has the same pet peeve.  Me Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

When I was a child and looking at all the the the surfaces my mother washed or wiped down with the 'dish rags', I vowed to use paper towels.  Yes, she washed them out and they were put in the washer and hung to dry but I was still skeeved.  

I don't own a dish towel, I use disposable sponges for the pots and wash pot holders on a regular basis.  If they get a food spill, they'te instantly put in the wash.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow