Esteemed Contributor

"Catching Something" in the Hospital

Has anyone ever "picked up" something at the doctor's office or hospital?  

I'm fighting a bug.  I use the hand sanitizer, wipe off the handles on supermarket carts, try not to touch hard surfaces , etc. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

Re: "Catching Something" in the Hospital

It's 'in the air'............sneezes travel either 30 feet or 60 feet; don't recall exactly.  One of those doctor shows recently showed the perimeter, and it was a long, long distance, imo. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

It's entirely possible.  There or at the store, or work.

I work at home. I got my flu shot today.  It takes about two weeks to work, about the same time I have to work in the office for a day.

People hacking, sneezing, coughing.... no covering their face. I cringe every time I have to work in the office.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

It's entirely possible.  There or at the store, or work.

I work at home. I got my flu shot today.  It takes about two weeks to work, about the same time I have to work in the office for a day.

People hacking, sneezing, coughing.... no covering their face. I cringe every time I have to work in the office.

I hear ya! My husband and youngest got their flu shots last week.  M oldest who doesn't believe in them will HAVE TO get one because she works at a hospital.

Respected Contributor

Over the years I've found a doctor's office is the absolute best place to catch a bug.  Hope you shed it fast and feel better.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i had said this on a different thread recently (a housewife thread), but i remember anytime i was pregnant i avoided hospitals and tried not to linger in doctors offices when possible. hospitals and emergency rooms are filled with germs. i never encourage my 76 year old mom to visit anyone in the hospital because i dont want her to get sick.

i dont think ANYONE should feel obligated to go and visit someone in the hospital for this very reason.

it is bad enough when you have kids and they bring all of the school germs home. Smiley Frustrated

i recently got back from vacation and got sick the very next day (fever, bad cough, heavy chest, weakness, fatigue) and i RARELY get sick. i was so glad that it didnt hit until i got home. of course, i could have gotten that from the plane ride.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Its called a nosocomial infection. My daughter is a nurse and I work in a health care setting and I can tell you this - a hospital is the flithiest place on earth. Most nurses and physicians build up a natural immunity to a lot of it but oh boy, I don't touch a thing if I am visiting someone and if I do, I head right to the sink to wash my hands.

Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom  DH works at a hospital too.  mandatory!

Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Over the years I've found a doctor's office is the absolute best place to catch a bug.  Hope you shed it fast and feel better.

@RoughDraft

Thanks luv, it's the last thing I need this week. 

Honored Contributor

I have picked up bugs when I have gone to my family doctor office.  

I know how I did pick up a flu type bug several years ago.  I read the newspapers while I was waiting. I touched nothing else.