Honored Contributor

"Carrier Fees" I've been noticing lately

I was going to order something from a retailer.  The item was a nice teardrop lighted wreath w/small birdhouse done in Americana (not Etsy).  It was $16.99 as I checked out I saw s/h fees were $9.99 + $3.99 carrier surcharge fees.  

Needless to say, I didn't order as the charges were almost as much as item.  I then looked at another retailer and saw the same "carrier fees".

I assume sooner or later this is going to be another charge added.  I do know these retailers stated Fed Ex as delivery method.

I mailed my nieces bday gift today -- geez that price was a shock😲 but in this circumstance I'll pay UPS fees as I know it will get there 🙂🙂

Honored Contributor

Re: "Carrier Fees" I've been noticing lately

High gasoline prices probably the reason...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I noticed a LOT of things going up.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1   I also notice these extra fees tacked on.  I still get daiily home delivery of our newspaper & they started adding on a delivery fee.  It almost seems ironic as that is the way to get home delivery of the paper is to DELIVER it.....  When they nickel and dime you like that it is really annoying.  If they would have just raised the price a few bucks to start with no one would have been the wiser but to itemize it like that is not a good look for them.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

And, I tried to support a local restrauant with a  Take Out order recently. When I picked it up there was a $1 charge for the box.  It wasn't the cost of the box, but more that it was a surprise that I wasn't told about it and had never been charged anywhere for a box before.

Honored Contributor

@77yangya wrote:

@77yangya   And NOT just a "few cents", either!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee wrote:

And, I tried to support a local restrauant with a  Take Out order recently. When I picked it up there was a $1 charge for the box.  It wasn't the cost of the box, but more that it was a surprise that I wasn't told about it and had never been charged anywhere for a box before.

I had a similar experience.  I stopped at a restaurant that I had been to before, pre-Covid, to get something.  I was charged an additional $1.50 for using a card, which they had not done before, plus a Covid service charge which was around $2.00.  I understand that businesses are hurting and I can understand them trying to recoup some of their losses but, like you, I think that information should be posted.  I had not experienced this at other establishments so it was a surprise. 

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@77yangya wrote:

@77yangya   And NOT just a "few cents", either!!

Folks,

When in Fl for the winter, DH and I "visit" a lot of thrift shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Habitat Restore, etc. 

We both noticed that their prices were very higher this year. 

Back home, the restaurants have increased their prices.  Those that stayed opened with much decreased seating, eliminated lunch specials and also super-streamlined their offerings.

All said, it is to be expected as we come out the other end of the pandemic tunnel.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

High gasoline prices probably the reason...

Nah, they've been higher than this!