Honored Contributor

"COPING WITH STRESS DURING INFECTIOUS DISEASE OUTBREAKS" FROM THE CDC

I just posted this in another thread, but realized nobody might wade through all the posts to ever get to it!  So here it will have it's own post.  It's common sense counsel that the CDC has passed on, for dealing with the anxiety caused by infectious disease. Of course, the principles apply to any stress-inducing situation:

https://store.samhsa.gov/system/files/sma14-4885.pdf

Honored Contributor

Re: "COPING WITH STRESS DURING INFECTIOUS DISEASE OUTBREAKS" FROM THE CDC

Thanks for posting this info @Oznell . Stay well.

Trusted Contributor

I think this is great advice. I have felt a need to step back just a bit. It seems as if we are being flooded with this news and I have, at times, felt a little bit like I’m drowning. It’s everywhere. Of course, I will still be aware of what’s going on but I just need some balance in my life. 

Trusted Contributor

I took a quick look at the link, but it is lacking one key symptom -compulsive buying.

My poor daughter.  She has 3 children between the ages of 10 and 4.  School has been cancelled.  They have pets.  

We live in areas of the country where the virus has not shown up, that we know of, yet.

How do you know how long you really should be prepared for?  If you stock up for 2 weeks, and in 2 weeks its just now really getting started?

She has called me twice, I know just wanting to talk it out and release some anxiety.  After we finished yesterday, she said, "well, I just about have my Walmart order done".  I know she has already been twice this week with huge orders (13 cans of raviolli for one child?)

She has a lot of responsibility, and I know how she feels.  Everytime I hear about another restriction, it feels like I want to just go buy some more stuff. 

Honored Contributor

I hope people realize that most foods and medications have expiration dates. If you buy too much and it expires you are throwing money away.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You raise such good points, @GrailSeeker -- it's nerve wracking to begin with, and to try to plan supplies, etc. on top of that....   We've been buying a few extras here and there-- I immediately thought of cans of tuna, and beans! And of course, some extra cat food. 

I googled something like, what's a good list of supplies for a 2 week quarantine, and some helpful info came up.  Maybe your daughter could try that-- if she has a concrete list, she might stick to it and be less likely to go overboard.  And as @RetRN  says, we want to stick as much as possible, with non-perishables.  Dates of expiration are important.

Even if not needed, it's nice to have a reserve of food and basic supplies, and can ease some of the worry, perhaps.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gang, not to confuse people, but I used the edit button to edit this post of mine-- realized that my suggestion might veer too far into recommending techniques that might not be good for every single person.  Our group is probably too vast to make blanket recommendations of that sort.  Sorry for the inconvenience!

Super Contributor

I am trying to cope with a family member who is totally convinced the end is near. The virus is going to cause her to lose power, not have any water, or both. She is stressing me out and I am the one with health issues.

Honored Contributor

Oh, my sympathies, @Veridoc .  Is she open to considering some anxiety-relieving interventions?  

Also, you don't want your stress levels to go up with having to listen. Sometimes with relatives or friends who are obsessing, it helps to say kindly, up front, "I know this is concerning you, like it is everyone--  I can listen and discuss for 10 minutes (or whatever time you feel you can tolerate!), but then for my own peace of mind, we must change the subject."

I've had to employ that technique at times, usually successfully.  Then, if you even can give her a short list of resources, like the CDC website, and online places she can go that give tips with controlling anxiety, you will have done her a great service!

Valued Contributor

@Oznell Thank you For this info! I just did the guided Cruise imagery. I normally have a hard time relaxing with guided meditations but before I knew it I was feeling salt spray on my face it was great  😊