Valued Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I like the stories you all have connected to your memories/impressions of this timeless way of whipping up a cup of joe....

You've really captured the sheer sensory joy of it, @Witchy Woman !

@nomar,  you go!   Be careful on that short ladder, and do let me know how you like your brew.

Will let you know. Gonna try tomorrow afternoon for a coffee break. I am not really impressed with any coffee I have tried out of the Keurig. The coffee always taste bitter and strong. With my new/old pot I am dragging out I can make as strong as I like. Of course for my early morning coffee starter I will still stay with the fast making coffee pot, Mr. Coffee.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

Since there are only a max of 2 of us, when my wife is home!  She likes $6+ coffee, and I drink my instant Folgers, for about $.07 a cup?

If I drank more Joe, I might like to try perked coffee again. That is what my mom always made when she was alive. Still some type of Folgers, I remember that part.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

During a power outage the only thing worse than not having running water is not having hot coffee so  I keep a stove top percolator and an old drip coffee pot on hand to use on the gas grill or camp stove.  I admit to having a craving for old fashioned perked or drip coffee and pull out one of the pots to brew a treat.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor
There is nothing better than percolating coffee. The sound and smell bring back a lot of cozy memories of my grandmother who always had a pot on the stove.
Coffee made this way on a Coleman stove early morning at the beach is also a fav memory.
Respected Contributor

I use an electric percolator with decaf grounds, and sometimes like @hckynutjohn  I have Folger's instant decaf. I love the aroma of percolating coffee and the childhood memories it brings.

Honored Contributor

That percolator of yours, @Desertdi ,  also has that great retro look, cool!   I love Corning ware.

@hckynutjohn,  I would have pegged you as a fancy coffee lover like your discerning wife!  A good, strong cup of joe after a long stint on the ice....

@Desert Lily,  yes, yes, that aroma, as you and others have referenced.  That's half the appeal, at least!

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn   My husband uses the large Instant Folgers from Costco...not interested in anything else....except when RVing out comes the Farberware old school percolator.

Honored Contributor

BIG "NOTE"...!!!!!

Almost ALL of today's "bagged coffee grounds" are DRIP GRIND.    

If you are going to use a perc....I would strongly advise using a coffee filter in the perc basket.....or you will get a lot of sludge in the bottom of your pot.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

BIG "NOTE"...!!!!!

Almost ALL of today's "bagged coffee grounds" are DRIP GRIND.    

If you are going to use a perc....I would strongly advise using a coffee filter in the perc basket.....or you will get a lot of sludge in the bottom of your pot.    di

I second this filter recommendation. You can probably buy them in the coffee aisle at your supermarket, but Amazon has them, too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@hckynutjohn,  I would have pegged you as a fancy coffee lover like your discerning wife!  A good, strong cup of joe after a long stint on the ice....

@Oznell 

My wife occasionally buys me a cup of SB, the mildest. I had the strongest, and I think the worst in the world, in the United States Army. No interest in espresso or strong coffee.

Then there is my frugality(cheapness to some) that permeates most everything I buy, or have bought in my life time.

You hit the nail on the head with ice skating. Nothing hits the spot, as soon as I get home from skating, like my mug full of Folgers instant. It is getting close to a "must have". Pretty sure it's more of Psychological than a Physiological reason, but it sure hits the spot.

hckynut  

hckynut(john)