Honored Contributor

Re: "Ave Maria" Schubert or Bach/Gounod?

@Pook wrote:

No version is likable for me!!  They are all way to eerie and devastatingly sad.  

Even Woopie's version in Sister Act? I thought that one was wonderful too! That hymn is actually "Hail Holy Queen", but they use a version of the Ave Maria as a counter melody.........

Respected Contributor

I'll take any of them......

Honored Contributor

I like and have sung both for funerals, weddings, etc. I get more requests to sing Schubert.

I grew up listening to Perry Como sing the Schubert version. While I appreciate the operatic singers & more complex orchestrations, I prefer a simple arrangement with a more natural vocal quality. I think Schubert is prettier as an instrumental. Karen Carpenter had a beautiful Bach/Gounod version which really suits her lower voice range. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

I like and have sung both for funerals, weddings, etc. I get more requests to sing Schubert.

I grew up listening to Perry Como sing the Schubert version. While I appreciate the operatic singers & more complex orchestrations, I prefer a simple arrangement with a more natural vocal quality. I think Schubert is prettier as an instrumental. Karen Carpenter had a beautiful Bach/Gounod version which really suits her lower voice range. 

Totally agree- I actually only received a specific, no nonsense request for the Bach-Gounod once. The Schubert is much more comfortable in my mezzo-y contralto voice range too. 

Super Contributor

go to utube...aaron nville ave maria...just georgious

Honored Contributor

I personally prefer the Maria Callas version.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Contributor

I love them both.  The Schubert is my favorite version, having sung it several times years ago.

Respected Contributor

Actually, there are at least a dozen versions of "Ave Maria"--not just two.