Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Ave Maria" Schubert or Bach/Gounod?

@Trix wrote:

I prefer the Gounod.  That said there are some beautiful renditions of both Ave Marias on recording ranging from classical vocal masters such as Marian Anderson and Pavarotti to contemporary music artists. One of my personal favorites is the Andy Williams rendition.  Aretha Franklin does a version that can make you tingle all over. 

@Trix  Marian Anderson was my mother's favorite! So beautiful!

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

GenXmuse, how can you dislike the lyrics? The whole song is the Latin interpretation of  the "Hail Mary" prayer. The lyrics are vital!

I said I don't like the vocals, not the lyrics, I prefer instrumental music. I know the prayer very well in both Latin and English. 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Sooner  Could you link the Aaron Neville composition. I'm not familiar with it.

@PA Mom-mom What is with you about this?  Your reply to my original comment was a little uncalled for.  It was rude at best. 

My post implied why choose a composer when both are wonderful.  Then went on to say there are many versions of these compositions.  You implied I was too stupid to understand there were two composers.

So I am not going to argue with you about this at all.  You were hurtful to me over a simple reply.  I am done with the topic.  I don't understand any of your attitude. 

Honored Contributor

No version is likable for me!!  They are all way to eerie and devastatingly sad.  

Honored Contributor

Seriously? Definitely on the fence, and a WONDERFUL DELIGHTFUL QUESTION to START MY DAY!!!!

I've sung both, performed both on at least 3 or 4 instruments, heard both almost all my life.

The lyrics (words) are the text of one of my favorite prayers. 

NOW, just to toss in another consideration, MY VERY FAVORITE SETTING is from the opera "Otello" by Guiseppe Verdi. (My snorty college music history prof. always referred toVerdi as "Joe Green")

That version is definitely an acquired taste, but there are a few exquisite versions on YouTube that can instantaneously bring me tears. If it's new to you, it may need more hearings. It's a real touchy for even the best sopranos. I remember a wonderful version by Leo Tyne Price I think.

So NOW, those of you who love a good holiday over the dining table fight, and are given to music as a good battle cry (it is), you can have the choice of THREE!

Small bit of EXTRA music trivia (hardcore musicians only) - it's one of only a few pieces written during its era that does not end on a perfect cadence!

ENJOY!!!

Esteemed Contributor

That's like trying to figure out which one of the Hallelujahs is best: The Bach or the Handel.

As to which of the Aves....

Yes.

Esteemed Contributor

@violann 

Yes, about the cadence, but I don't understand about your prof's reference to Verdi as "Joe Green."

Can you explain?

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@violann 

Yes, about the cadence, but I don't understand about your prof's reference to Verdi as "Joe Green."

Can you explain?

I should be embarrassed for the man, but he's long since passed to his reward.... the literal translation to English of Giuseppe Verdi is "Joe Green"!

And even more terrible, it's probably "JOSEPH Green"!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@violann 

Can you explain?

I should be embarrassed for the man, but he's long since passed to his reward.... the literal translation to English of Giuseppe Verdi is "Joe Green"!

And even more terrible, it's probably "JOSEPH Green"!

Ya know....it's too early in the a.m. for me to have figured it out! Very funny, @violann !

Joe's my favorite opera composer!

Honored Contributor

Difficult choice, but I think Shubert.  Love both.