Super Contributor

Re: "Ave Maria" Schubert or Bach/Gounod?

My favorite is whichever one I am listening to at the time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Probably Gounod/Bach because I don't care for the vocals. It takes away from the piece. 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Why would you choose?  There are too many wonderful versions--including Aaron Neville's! 

@Sooner  The reference was to the composers of the two popular versions of "Ave Maria." I love many singers' versions.

@PA Mom-mom I know that.  I studied piano for 12 years with a teacher who held a Masters from Northwestern and also studied at Julliard.  I considered a music degree--but took another route.  I know about composers.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Why would you choose?  There are too many wonderful versions--including Aaron Neville's! 

@Sooner  The reference was to the composers of the two popular versions of "Ave Maria." I love many singers' versions.

@PA Mom-mom I know that.  I studied piano for 12 years with a teacher who held a Masters from Northwestern and also studied at Julliard.  I considered a music degree--but took another route.  I know about composers.

@Sooner  Which makes me wonder about your reply.

Respected Contributor

I absolutely prefer Schubert's melody.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner  Which makes me wonder about your reply.

@PA Mom-mom And that tells me all I need to know about your answer to my original post.  

Respected Contributor

GenXmuse, how can you dislike the lyrics? The whole song is the Latin interpretation of  the "Hail Mary" prayer. The lyrics are vital!

Honored Contributor

Schubert.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner  Could you link the Aaron Neville composition. I'm not familiar with it.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer the Gounod.  That said there are some beautiful renditions of both Ave Marias on recording ranging from classical vocal masters such as Marian Anderson and Pavarotti to contemporary music artists. One of my personal favorites is the Andy Williams rendition.  Aretha Franklin does a version that can make you tingle all over.