Esteemed Contributor

"Ave Maria" Schubert or Bach/Gounod?

[ Edited ]

Our family goes through this debate every Christmas. We all agree the Pavarotti versions of both are the best. But which version do you prefer?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Ave Maria" Schubert of Bach/Gounod?

All the way with Gounod here.  No vocals, straight orchestra.  One of my most favorite of all.  Maybe my most fav.

Honored Contributor

Without a doubt the Pavarotti version of this song is powerful and beautiful.  However, when I hear anyone sing the Ave Maria I am affected..  This song was sang at so many funeral masses I attended and that was when my emotions brought me to tears.

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining  I think my fave is the Gounod too. But then I start listening to them back to back, and, well it goes round and round.

New Contributor

Re: "Ave Maria" Schubert or Bach/Gounod?

Schubert is my favorite. My mother was a talented muscian and my brother had a magnificent voice. I have so many wonderful memories of my brother singing the Schubert version of "Ave Maria."

Respected Contributor

I love them both ...probably would pick the Schubert as my favorite.  Always brings a lump to my throat...so very beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

Schubert for me.  So many memories associated with that version and brings me to tears every time I hear it.

Regular Contributor

Perry Como.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Why would you choose?  There are too many wonderful versions--including Aaron Neville's! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Why would you choose?  There are too many wonderful versions--including Aaron Neville's! 

@Sooner  The reference was to the composers of the two popular versions of "Ave Maria." I love many singers' versions.