Honored Contributor

Re: question about service or comfort dogs on planes

I know that trained emotion support animals are helpful and provide a valuable service for their person...unfortunately, so many have taken advantage of the service animal allowance on planes just so they can bring their pets on board, it has clashed many airlines to start cracking down on those who have no legit reason to be taking up space on the plane. Difference between a trained service animal and an emotional support animal.
Respected Contributor

I remember when the only animals that were allowed in a store was a seeing eye dog, now they're all over the place.  IMO, people take advantage of this comfort support BS or else society is truly a mess and there are a whole lot of emotionally crippled individuals out there.  (Just my thoughts on this.)

Honored Contributor

Recently complaints have been increasing concerning dogs on board having accidents, biting passengers, and getting into fights with other dogs on planes, but they are not highly trained service dogs.  They are support dogs and pets wearing fake vests whose owners haven't been caught.

Service dogs are trained to "hold it" for a reasonable amount of time, more than most flight hours. 

Airlines are cracking down because of lawsuits.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

No one uses doggie diappers....LOL  Whether it's a comfort dog, llama, alligator or camel; the animals just do their business wherever they happen to be.  The flight attendants clean it up, as well as they can.

NOT true!  We had Dalmaitian doggie diapers for our dog.  As he aged, he became incontinent and couldn't hold it to get to the door.

They were held on w/ velco...so when he finally reached the door, we pulled them off and he could finish outside.  He was otherwise healthy.  He lived for 4 years with his house diaper on.

They had a disposable pad inside of a diaper with a plastic lining, elastic edges...just like a child!

Tossed the wet pad and washed them.  The diapers even had spots on them just like he did!

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

I remember when the only animals that were allowed in a store was a seeing eye dog, now they're all over the place.  IMO, people take advantage of this comfort support BS or else society is truly a mess and there are a whole lot of emotionally crippled individuals out there.  (Just my thoughts on this.)

Maybe Society as a whole is more accepting of how much we love our animals!

I have never flown with my pets, nor been on a flight where those onboard were any trouble at all.

Wish I could say the same for the babies/children on board!  Yikes!  Crying, screaming, misbehaving, kicking seats....I'd rather be next to a dog!

Occasional Contributor

I have seen pet relief stations at the airports as well. 

Honored Contributor

@sashagirl wrote:

I have seen pet relief stations at the airports as well. 

Atlanta airport has one right outside the baggage area labled "Doggie Relief Park."  The park even has benches so the " humans" can sit while their dogs do their business.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My dog isn't an emotional support animal or service dog but she would have no problem flying on a plane and not having to do her business.  Maybe if she was ill, but otherwise, she holds it.  She has never once had an "accident" in our house. Ever.

I have been on planes with dogs and none of them have ever relieved themselves on the plane.  I would imagine this would be a problem and we would hear new stories about this happening if it were a frequent occurrence.    

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

Maybe Society as a whole is more accepting of how much we love our animals!

I have never flown with my pets, nor been on a flight where those onboard were any trouble at all.

Wish I could say the same for the babies/children on board!  Yikes!  Crying, screaming, misbehaving, kicking seats....I'd rather be next to a dog!

I'm sure it's a real picnic for the parents to be on the plane with crying and screaming kids.  I'm sure they don't like it anymore than anyone else.  Probably worse because they know how bad others' attitudes can be about it. 

Respected Contributor

We were riding the train from Williams Az to Grand Canyon. We paid for premium seats in the observation area. 

(Just an aside here but the seats were not worth the extra fee due to very cramped seats and not much scenery)

A group of about 4 adults had a very well behaved large dog that set himself in the isle. One person would rub his body constantly during the entire trip. The air was full of flying fur. thank goodness for my Zyrtec.