Honored Contributor

question about service or comfort dogs on planes

What happens if the dog needs to go to the bathroom?  Where do they go.  I imagine an accident by the animal would stink up the entire plane cabin.  They must account for this somehow?

Honored Contributor

Re: question about service or comfort dogs on planes

@SeaMaiden 

I wondered the same thing when I recently saw a story & photos of an emotional support miniature horse on a US airline.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

A local veteran who has a professionally-trained service dog to help with his PTSD applies a 'doggy diaper' to the back section of his canine when traveling in an enclosed,  group situation.  He makes sure the dog tries to "better hurry" (the cue the dog has learned to try to relive herself) before boarding the vehicle.  

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

A local veteran who has a professionally-trained service dog to help with his PTSD applies a 'doggy diaper' to the back section of his canine when traveling in an enclosed,  group situation.  He makes sure the dog tries to "better hurry" (the cue the dog has learned to try to relive herself) before boarding the vehicle.  

@deepwaterdotter Most dogs on planes are not professionally trained service dogs though. They are people's pets. People who pass them off as emotional support animals. Huge difference. 

Respected Contributor

Yikes.  Even with a diaper, it's gonna stink!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Professionally trained service dogs have impeccable manners and are thoroughly house broken.  They don't have "accidents".

The airlines have supposedly cracked down on so-called emotional support animals so they should be few and far between.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@deepwaterdotter Most dogs on planes are not professionally trained service dogs though. They are people's pets. People who pass them off as emotional support animals. Huge difference. 

You know this, how?

Respected Contributor

I am a frequent flier and have never noticed an issue. Service dogs are impeccably trained. When we fly with our very small job..she gets nothing Tom eat or drink for a couple of hours before we leave and stays in her travel kennel. No issue ever.

Honored Contributor

No one uses doggie diappers....LOL  Whether it's a comfort dog, llama, alligator or camel; the animals just do their business wherever they happen to be.  The flight attendants clean it up, as well as they can.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like DH...I remind him nothing to eat or drink for an hour or so before we board...or he is walking the aisle for half the flight...😬