Honored Contributor

Re: quality of life rankings 2018 (us news and world report)

One thing that I wonder,   is the fact we assume much of the worlds defense budget being considered in this report?

I know Canada ,pays very little toward national defense, because they live next door to us, so they feel that they don't have to

I would love to see our defense budget decreased, and let others pick up their fair share. It might give us a better quality of life too

I am not anti military, but I would like to see other things get more money, and defense get less

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner

Some qualities are very much quantitative, not perceptions, they can be measured easily.  Both Germany and Australia are very population diverse.

I believe in Our country and I have faith We can do better with such things as infant mortality, and morbidity mortality rates, etc..

Pointing out that Our country has issues does not mean one wants to move off to another country.  It just means We all have work to do.

Recognizing needs, and being willing to work on them to make Our home better is a good thing isn’t it?  After all, We're all a work in progress aren’t We?  None of us is perfect.😀

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I'm just pointing out that these countries are very different from ours.  I don't think any list can possibly reflect the values of any country.  Most of these wouldn't let most of us in to live there. So everyone is middle class or up and wealthy.

Trusted Contributor

Free health care often means extremely long wait times to get an appointment to see a doctor.  

Trusted Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Sooner

Some qualities are very much quantitative, not perceptions, they can be measured easily.  Both Germany and Australia are very population diverse.

I believe in our country and I have faith we can do better with such things as infant mortality, and morbidity mortality rates, etc..

Pointing out that our country has issues does not mean one wants to move off to another country.  It just means we have work to so.

Recognizing needs, and being willing to work on them to make our home better is a good thing isn’t it?  After all, we’re all a work in progress aren’t we?  None of us is perfect.😀

The World Health Organization has written about how the US adheres to the WHO reporting on infant mortality where a lot of other countries don't. That's why our numbers are higher. There's a lot involved in the reporting and a lot that isn't followed all the time in many countries. So it's a tough area to compare and unlikely that we are really terrible on that issue. We might also have more instances of premmies being delivered to try to save them.

Respected Contributor

@Ruby Laine wrote:

The US population is over 320 million. The top 10 listed here are very small in comparison. I’m into science, not economics, but it seems there could be some kind of correlation.  

These countries are smaller populations with much less cultural diversity ; they also pay much higher taxes for the cradle to grave services.

In Denmark, a legal migrant cannot access the gov't services if they enter the country after a certain age; I'm sure in light of humanitarian crises this has changed, esp. in Germany.

I'm not willing to pay 85% income taxes.

Esteemed Contributor

@physicsnut, I am curious.  Why especially Canada. Full disclosure here.  I am Canadian.  LM

Honored Contributor

Let's  face it, quality of life any where depends on how much money you have. 

Trusted Contributor

Funny that people all over the world are still desperate to get here.   So we must be doing something right.   I'd never live anywhere else; the USA is always and forever the greatest nation on earth.  

Valued Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

@culebra wrote:

The countries listed all pay high taxes for their health care etc.  

Which is balanced out by the fact that they are not paying exhorbitant health insurance premiums and prescription costs, expensive day care, outrageous nursing home fees, etc., etc., etc.

They ARE being taxed to death....thru their paychecks by the government to pay for their healthcare!