Honored Contributor

Re: proud to be an American

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Any well wishes for the boy who was knocked out with a punch last week for not removing his hat during the National Anthem @newname0 ?

Do you mean the 13-year-old boy that sustained temporal skull fractures and whose ears bled for six hours and has no memory of the day after being attacked by a 39-year-old "man" who said the boy was disrespecting the national anthem, so he had every right to do that?

Yes, I think @JaneMarple meant that boy.

If we're going to define anti-patriotism, this incident comes a LOT closer than someone tearing up a flag.

@Marp, @JaneMarple, @QueenDanceALot, the attack on that boy was sickening, horrid.   I agree with your comment, @QueenDanceALot.   

I fear that we've lost sight of the fact that genuine patriotism for our country, America, isn't always displayed by falling in place with lock-step actions (like what we do when we hear an anthem, see a flag) and isn't always proven by bumper-sticker slogans (though they're guaranteed to get high-fives, belly bumps, kudos/likes/hearts on social media).   Genuine patriotism is far more than saying "I'm proud to be an American" (which I am, by the way).   It has to go far deeper...  our freedoms allow some things we can't all agree upon, such as the real flames of a burning flag, or accounts of deliberately inflammatory tales, or incendiary pot-stirring social media posts, but at the same time we need to step back and be more thoughtful about what we've allowed ourselves to become.

I'm reminded of a quote from the documentary, "American Winter":   "...Bishop C.T. Wells of Portland Community Services gets to the heart of just how far in a wrong direction things are headed.   As he rightly notes, there was a time when Americans valued the fact that everyone would be taken care of.   That friend, neighbor or stranger, if someone was struggling, there was a helping hand to reach out to them and it was something the country was proud of.   

But the rhetoric has changed so dramatically, that the compassion once inherent in the fabric of the nation’s core beliefs -- and arguably one of best unofficial exports to the world in terms of America’s identity -- has now been stripped to a mentality where everyone is left to fight on their own..."   I have a dear family friend who is a Native American, an honorable combat veteran who served for years with General Colin Powell and is a friend of his, and we just had a discussion about this...  and he agrees with everything I wrote here, for what it's worth.   I hope my opinion is respected, and I do respect others for exercising American freedoms to express theirs whether we agree or not.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't have done anything.  Why would I?  Of course the police couldn't do anything, she wasn't attacking or ripping up a human being.  It was political statement and it was her right to make it.  Which is what our country and our flag are all about!  

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

If its true it is not freedom of speech.  Speech is verbal talking.  Destroying something  is not.

Then have that argument with the courts, including the Supreme Court.  "Speech" is not had has never been reserved for verbal communication.  

Respected Contributor

@Marp   Thanks for the detective work.  Facebook, the source of all valid news and information!  Woman Wink  Haven't we been down this road before?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: proud to be an American

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@newname0 wrote:

What would you do if you saw someone in a parade ripping apart an American flag?

Not.

One.

Da.mn.

Thing.

I pay to live in this country where I can do this.

Bravo!

@sidsmom  1.5 million and more have paid with their blood so you can do it. 

nope.

It’s my right. 

‘Just a piece of cloth

Really quite sad you’re not understanding the ‘why’. 

@sidsmom Who do you think fought for and have protected that right for you???  😧

Really quite sad you don’t see the connection. 🙄

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sashamatthews wrote:

There is a large part of our country which has no respect for our country.   That being said, this despicable act is protected and there is nothing you can do about it.

Let’s just say,

if I was in a position which required it...

I could show my tax returns.

Sorry, but I have no interest in seeing your tax returns or those of anyone else. That is the job of the IRS. People get hung up on the craziest things.  

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Marp   Thanks for the detective work.  Facebook, the source of all valid news and information!  Woman Wink  Haven't we been down this road before?

@RoughDraft 

I need a new pair of sneakers.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@newname0 wrote:

What would you do if you saw someone in a parade ripping apart an American flag?

Not.

One.

Da.mn.

Thing.

I pay to live in this country where I can do this.

Bravo!

@sidsmom  1.5 million and more have paid with their blood so you can do it. 

nope.

It’s my right. 

‘Just a piece of cloth

Really quite sad you’re not understanding the ‘why’. 

@sidsmom Who do you think fought for and have protected that right for you???  😧

Really quite sad you don’t see the connection. 🙄

Who?

‘Ya mean the Magic Sky Cloth?

9C69194A-07AD-4F7A-9892-8A9EEA0C5A39.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Someone looking for attention?

Rather than ignore it I think I would help draw attention to it.

We've become confused about our "rights" in this country.

I would be telling people to watch closely and remember this moment, because this public act of overt disrespect of your country's flag comes to you courtesy of your guaranteed rights.  Rights that are so precious we protect them with our lives. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sashamatthews wrote:

There is a large part of our country which has no respect for our country.   That being said, this despicable act is protected and there is nothing you can do about it.

Let’s just say,

if I was in a position which required it...

I could show my tax returns.

@sidsmom  The only positions that I know of that require it are if you’re the subject of an IRS audit or are asking for other people’s money, e.g, welfare, aid...like that. 

Keepin' it real.