Trusted Contributor

What would you do if you saw someone in a parade ripping apart an American flag?

That happened at the BB parade in Chicago and it was televised on t.v.  The police could do nothing because they said it was her 1st Amendment right.

She even went to the sidelines and encouraged young children to help her rip up the flag.

Something is wrong here.

Super Contributor

Doesn't bother me....so I would just keep on walking.

Honored Contributor

Sorry, but what is a BB parade?

Honored Contributor

Freedom of speech.  That is what makes our country great.  I would just wave my flag more.

Honored Contributor

While I think it is disrespectable, I would just try to ignore the situation.  There is nothing anyone can do and it isn't illegal.

Someone is looking for their 15 minutes of fame and wouldn't get it from me.

Trusted Contributor

BB - traditional Bud Biikin parade marking back to school

Esteemed Contributor

People are quick to forget that Freedom of Speech doesn't protect the speech that you like, it protects the speech that you don't like.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Sorry, but what is a BB parade?

@ValuSkr It's the Bud Billiken parade in Chicago.  I'm not sure this actually happened though.  I'm not finding any news stories about it...just a facebook post from a group I don't recognize.

Esteemed Contributor

The police gave you the correct answer.  It is a First Amendment right.  Whether you or I like it, this is covered by the Constitution.  I worked with a woman years ago, an American-born, a member of a religious group, whose religion forbade the saluting of the flag.  I liked her very much and realized this was her right.

Trusted Contributor
Everything is so messed up. People don't realize how good they have it here. That being said, the only thing I have control over is myself. I choose to respect my flag & my country. I choose to stand for my national anthem & put my hand over my heart. That's the freedom of speech I choose. Beth, please don't delete. I'm truly not trying to be political. Thank you.