Respected Contributor

I have two electric pressure cookers, a 4qt and a 6qt. I use them all the time. 

Honored Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

I bought one from QVC YEARS ago and never used it.  It's sitting on a shelf in a closet. Woman Sad  However, my parents used one all the time.  My mother cooked potatoes in it (for mashed potatoes).  They were just "ok."  When my husband and I started dating (I was 19), I tasted his mother's mashed potatoes and, WOW, were they delicious!!!  She boiled them and just used a potato masher on them, with milk and butter, of course.  What a difference!  Since then, I always made them like my mother-in-law did and we love them!

Sorry, Mom... you were the BEST, but your mashed potatoes... not so much!  Woman Wink

Don't blame the poor Instant Pot!  It was what your MIL put in them, not the poor pot!

I can't imagine why you would have one and not be curious enough to even try it.  Or donate it.

Honored Contributor

I started using pressure cookers shortly after I married, 46 years ago.   My Instant Pot is used 1-2x weekly.  

Esteemed Contributor

@catlover  I had an Instant Pot that I somehow ruined. Everything I made in it tasted homogenized - no distinct flavors. However, it made the best hard boiled eggs. If I had room, I would get another one - for the Anerican goulash and the eggs. My son and daughter in law have 5 kids, and they use theirs all the time. My DIL doesn't have the time to attend to the stove.

Honored Contributor

I have a Cook's Essentials electric pressure cooker. I use it at least once a week.

Respected Contributor

Re: pressure cookers

[ Edited ]

@catlover   My first electronic pressure cooker was a Cook's Essential.  I used it all the time, at least twice weekly.  

I replaced it with an Instant Pot from the Q a year ago September when it was a Today's Special Value. I prefer that it has the stainless steel, rather than a non stick surface, for the cooking insert.  I do use it, about once or twice a week.  I always use it when preparing corned beef and cabbage.  Much faster results and less shrinkage than stovetop method, and better flavor.

In the mid 70s I had a stove top one given to me as a wedding present and was not overly fond of it--seldom used it.  The electronic ones are so much more user friendly and have more safeguards.

I am retired now so have more time to cook.  I seldom use a slow cooker anymore and have an air fryer that was used a few times and then banished to storage (Significant Other wanted that item.)   I use my Oster XL French Door countertop oven much more than I ever used the air fryer. 

Anything that can be done in a slow cooker can be done in a pressure cooker.  I have converted many of my slow cooker recipes to pressure cooker friendly ones.

The more you use one the more you may like it.  Try a recipe you've always done on the stove top or in the oven and do it in the pressure cooker and see if you like it.  Maybe try your home made meat sauce for spaghetti, or your favorite pot roast.  

One thing I do is always brown my meat first in a pan on the stove.  Gives more depth of flavor and I don't mind dirtying and cleaning one more pan.  I know you can saute in the cooker but I find that awkward.  

Skipping the browning step for pot roast, stew beef, chops, chicken, etc., to me leads to less flavor.. And even though it is popular to throw in frozen chicken or uncooked pasta in recipes I don't care for the results.  

I always thaw the meat if it has been frozen and I cook my pasta conventionally and then add to the finished sauce or whatever that has finished cooking under pressure.

aroc3435

Waashington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

4 qt electric pressure cooker - I still use it - especially when I am multi cooking meals.

Respected Contributor

Re: pressure cookers

[ Edited ]

I have the Ninja Foodi which has several features and one is the pressure cooker. It's pretty good. I always stayed away from a pressure cooker because my father got hit in the chest with the top, and burned. We never saw it ever again. A few years ago, I was hesitant but finally bought it. I have made hard boiled eggs and so many at one time. Peeling is so easy!  I made Mac and cheese, rice and beans, pasta, baked ziti, frozen spare ribs and then finished them off in the other feature the air fryer...delicious and a nice bark on them. Corned beef and cabbage and potatoes on St Patty's too. I tried baking a cake but it was a failure. I may try again, but I may not. 😝 The trick to using these appliances that we purchase is to open the box and try it immediately. In the past I have procrastinated and then didn't use the product. I'd never do that anymore. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

I bought one from QVC YEARS ago and never used it.  It's sitting on a shelf in a closet. Woman Sad  However, my parents used one all the time.  My mother cooked potatoes in it (for mashed potatoes).  They were just "ok."  When my husband and I started dating (I was 19), I tasted his mother's mashed potatoes and, WOW, were they delicious!!!  She boiled them and just used a potato masher on them, with milk and butter, of course.  What a difference!  Since then, I always made them like my mother-in-law did and we love them!

Sorry, Mom... you were the BEST, but your mashed potatoes... not so much!  Woman Wink

Don't blame the poor Instant Pot!  It was what your MIL put in them, not the poor pot!

I can't imagine why you would have one and not be curious enough to even try it.  Or donate it.

@Sooner   can you believe ? ROFL

Respected Contributor

I got an instant pot last year and no, I don't use it much. By the time I prep everything, sauté first, then PC and bring it down, and it's all a mystery how it will turnout- it takes SAME time than regular cooking - I hate the mystery! It's great if you make large or tough cuts of meat, then it's worth it - But I don't-
I did make slow cooked soup in it yesterday, and that was good and NO mystery outcome! !