Esteemed Contributor

Re: phone message without a ring?

That never happened on my landline, but yes, several times on my cells.

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

My phone doesnt ring or ding when I have a call or a text half the time.  My phone is a piece of junk, but I am stuck with it.

@Imaoldhippie,  likely it's not your phone, but the strength of the cell signal you receive. I get very poor signal using CDMA, but even worse using GSM phone technology. This is completely due to my location. 

If I drive a few miles West, the signal is booming strong!

So I've had many calls that never rang while at home.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@granddi  This is exactly why, when I got my new phone last year (new carrier as well), I chose not to set up my voicemail at all.  I didn't want it.  Any of my friends or relatives can, and will, leave me a text; which I will reply to......no need for voicemail.

@2blonde

Thats an excellent solution!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge......................Thanks for the info.  That is most likely what it is.  We live in the boonies and sometimes have to go outside to get a strong signal.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

That has happened to me too!  Several times, I noticed that my phone definitely did not ring but I had a vm message from some junk caller.  My cell phone carrier does identify some junk calls "scam caller" after the first ring so I thought perhaps they were putting some of them right to voice mail.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kinz wrote:

This happened to me yesterday.  The phone never rang and suddenly I get notification of a voice mail.  The voice mail was in Chinese. 😡. And the number doesn’t even show up on recent calls.  Strange.

@Kinz .. yes, strange & scary 😤

Valued Contributor

I refuse to set up voicemail on either my home phone or my cell. I'm not "on call" 24/7. If my friends want to contact me, they know how to get in touch with me. But, the phone is something I pay for, so it's not there to be handy for some scammer or even a legit business. I'll call a business when I want to talk to them. I should have the right to refuse a call that is coming in to my home. I have the robo calls blocked. I have told the company I'm with I do NOT want voicemail and I block any number that calls to annoy me. When did we start paying for someone to call us to try to get us to buy something, or be scammed out of our money? The phone is in our homes for our use, not theirs. The last "Microsoft" call I got, I told her I'm glad you called here's my passwords, drop dead. I know that's not nice, but I'm tired of scammers trying to get into my computer or bank account. They aren't being nice either.

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

That never happened on my landline, but yes, several times on my cells.

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

My phone doesnt ring or ding when I have a call or a text half the time.  My phone is a piece of junk, but I am stuck with it.

@Imaoldhippie,  likely it's not your phone, but the strength of the cell signal you receive. I get very poor signal using CDMA, but even worse using GSM phone technology. This is completely due to my location. 

If I drive a few miles West, the signal is booming strong!

So I've had many calls that never rang while at home.

I've had that happen too, and it had nothing to do with unwanted calls  If the signal isn't strong, it can go straight to voicemail.  That happened to me a couple of weeks ago when I was waiting for a call from my doctor.  My phone was literally in my hand, never rang, and instead his call went right to voicemail.

It doesn't happen to me often, but it has happened a few times over the last couple of years.  It's always been calls from people I actually know.

Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

The fraudsters and spammers are always coming up with something new.....  Wouldnt it be nice if they used their creativity and talents for better things....

(my old "favorite" was when they spoofed your own phone number when they called)...............

@granddi

From the Slashdot Blog:

New technology allows telemarketers to leave ringless voicemail messages, and it's a method that's gaining traction. While there are laws to regulate businesses when they call consumers, some groups argue that ringless voicemail shouldn't count. The New York Times reports,"ringless voicemail providers and pro-business groups...argue that these messages should not qualify as calls and, therefore, should be exempt from consumer protection laws that ban similar types of telephone marketing"... After receiving a petition from a ringless voicemail provider, the Federal Trade Commission collected public comments on this issue. So what can you do about it? If you're getting these voicemails, you can file a complaint with the FCC. 

Wow! Didn't know of this. Thank you @Spurt!

Honored Contributor

i have gotten several of this type of messages. phone does not ring, at first i thought i was going nutty as a fruit cake. i wonder how they are doing it????

Respected Contributor

I have had this happen too. I wondered how did a message get left when my phone never rang!