Trusted Contributor

Re: phillip watson leaving cottage farms/qvc

@fortune  He has a public facebook page and he just posted Christmas pix w/his mom & sister.  

Trusted Contributor

I am on Phillip's facebook page. I honestly do not think he "retired" by his own decision.

He seems to be enjoying himself as he has hundreds of friends all over the country, so visiting people is no problem for him.

I imagine he is also a bit nostalgic because this is the time of year that he traveled the nurseries in the US looking for new flowers to bring in for the Spring shows.

He has not been able to say much. He has been very politically correct and vague in his reasons for leaving the Q, and many many people say they will not shop if he is not there. We shall see. I honestly got the feeling that maybe Cottage Farms may not even be back, hence no need for Phillip. He did not say that, it is just a hunch based on other things being said. Of course I could be wrong.

You can still ask him for advice on his Facebook page, he answers. Another vendor caught up in the merger I suspect.

New Contributor

I deff don’t have the heart to buy cottage farms anything anymore since he left, I follow him on FB and glad he updates but it’s not the same as watching him on the Q, there was a charm about him everyone looked forward too and obviously he reminded us of hope in a new spring around the corner. Before I even knew he retired I was searching for cottage farm airings and couldn’t find anything at all coming up, they prob know no one can replace him. also someone on his FB asked him if he would be back on the Q this season and he said no, that he would be in Florida for the first time and have the winter to himself, I believe he’s working on some books. I’m happy for him but just sad that we won’t be seeing him anymore
Smiley Sad
Trusted Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Well, that's a change.  He did have a heart attack in the last year or two.  Lots of running around, odd hours, to be on the Q - not to mention, even though he is a designer, landscaping as a living is tough on the body.

I have hydrangeas and roses from CF that are quite lovely.

Good luck to Phillip!

Thanks for that health update on Phillip.  I never knew about the heart attack.  I have often used his quote - 'It is never done until it is overdone'

Honored Contributor

via facebook 1/5/18     Phillip Watson

Dear Friends,

First, I would like to wish all of you a Happy New Year full of promise, possibilities, and hope. We are often distracted from truth and glory by bright shiny objects that are meant to divert our attention and confuse us. This week the feel-good stories are all over the internet, and I love hearing these tales of kindness, rescue, and salvation. There is also the terrible truth of the seven year-old girl who was shot to death while riding in the car with her family. I can't get her smiling face out of my mind.

Yesterday, I met my lovely mail carrier, Beth, at the box and we exchanged holiday greetings as she handed me my mail. On top was a letter addressed to Phillip Watson Designs, which I thought must be a late Christmas card, but when I opened it I saw this beautiful pink hydrangea. Inside was a hand-written note on lined paper from a couple who had just retired and had moved near me from California. I have no idea how they got my address, but they said they had read about Hazel and me and wanted to do something to help..."perhaps a warm winter coat or school supplies". Then, I looked at the check, and I cried (I do this a lot and don't mind it a bit!). It wasn't because of its amount, which was sizeable, it was because TOTAL STRANGERS were now our bright and shiny object, and they were real!

I'm sorry to have been off-line for so long, but Hazel and I have been busy. My best friend from high school gave Hazel a candy apple-red ukulele for Christmas, so lessons will begin, soon. I have her all next weekend!

The changes over the past year have given way to my desire to write an autobiography, my personal Thanksgiving, which will detail how help came to me from unexpected places and people. While writing, I realized that I have had a rewarding life BECAUSE of my rough start, not in spite of it. And now, I am actually seeing life through the eyes of a child.

God bless all of the angels among us. For some, a simple smile can change the entire day.

PHILLIP

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I called Cottage Farms over the Summer. I had a question regarding one of their products. The lady I spoke to said they would still be offering their line on QVC. We’ll see. I will also miss Phillip and wish him good health and happiness.

~H~
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:
via facebook 1/5/18     Phillip Watson

Dear Friends,

First, I would like to wish all of you a Happy New Year full of promise, possibilities, and hope. We are often distracted from truth and glory by bright shiny objects that are meant to divert our attention and confuse us. This week the feel-good stories are all over the internet, and I love hearing these tales of kindness, rescue, and salvation. There is also the terrible truth of the seven year-old girl who was shot to death while riding in the car with her family. I can't get her smiling face out of my mind.

Yesterday, I met my lovely mail carrier, Beth, at the box and we exchanged holiday greetings as she handed me my mail. On top was a letter addressed to Phillip Watson Designs, which I thought must be a late Christmas card, but when I opened it I saw this beautiful pink hydrangea. Inside was a hand-written note on lined paper from a couple who had just retired and had moved near me from California. I have no idea how they got my address, but they said they had read about Hazel and me and wanted to do something to help..."perhaps a warm winter coat or school supplies". Then, I looked at the check, and I cried (I do this a lot and don't mind it a bit!). It wasn't because of its amount, which was sizeable, it was because TOTAL STRANGERS were now our bright and shiny object, and they were real!

I'm sorry to have been off-line for so long, but Hazel and I have been busy. My best friend from high school gave Hazel a candy apple-red ukulele for Christmas, so lessons will begin, soon. I have her all next weekend!

The changes over the past year have given way to my desire to write an autobiography, my personal Thanksgiving, which will detail how help came to me from unexpected places and people. While writing, I realized that I have had a rewarding life BECAUSE of my rough start, not in spite of it. And now, I am actually seeing life through the eyes of a child.

God bless all of the angels among us. For some, a simple smile can change the entire day.

PHILLIP

@sunshine45

I'm not on Facebook, so have a lot of questions about this entry.  Who is Hazel?  Why would someone give him a check for a warm coat?  What was the "rough life" to which he was referring?  Thanks, Sunshine!

Honored Contributor

@fortune

hazel is his gardeners daughter. her father also worked at qvc i believe (maybe with philip?). philip had been very close to the family for a number of years now. after her father passed away after a long illness and extended time in the hospital, philip had promised him that he would look after hazel and her mother. he has kept that promise. i think hazel is now a young teenager.......she is so lucky to have philip in her life. he even has a go fund me page for her education.

philip and hazel.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

I loved watching Phillip on the CF shows.  His depth of knowledge about his plants and the garden design was inspiring to me.  I learned a lot from him and will miss him tremendously.  Spring ain't gonna be the same without his advice and enthusiasm for gardening!  Best of Luck, Phillip, in all your future endeavors...you deserve.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@fortune

hazel is his gardeners daughter. her father also worked at qvc i believe (maybe with philip?). philip had been very close to the family for a number of years now. after her father passed away after a long illness and extended time in the hospital, philip had promised him that he would look after hazel and her mother. he has kept that promise. i think hazel is now a young teenager.......she is so lucky to have philip in her life. he even has a go fund me page for her education.

philip and hazel.jpg

@sunshine45

Thanks so much for answering my questions and for the picture!!  I will certainly buy Phillip's book when it comes out!  Sounds like he has an interesting story! 16x16_heart.png