Respected Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

@nomless wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The International Rescue Committee responds to U.S. Governors on Syrian refugee resettlement

New York 17 Nov 2015 - 

Refugee resettlement from around the world, for people of all religions and none, has been one of the success stories of the United States.  Now is no time to abandon this successful model.  Refugees are the most security vetted population who come to the United States. Security screenings are rigorous and involve the Department of Homeland Security, the FBI and the Department of Defense.  

Across the U.S., successful Syrian-American communities are testimony to the potential contribution of refugees to this country.

Banning Syrian refugees will not make America safer; it will make refugees more desperate.  Syrian refugees are fleeing violence — including by ISIS — and are seeking safety for themselves and for their families.   

We deplore the insinuation in the recent banning orders against Syrian refugees that either they are terrorists, or that it is impossible to separate them from those seeking to come here to commit terrorism.  

At a time when so many Syrian families are dependent on outside help for their survival, we call on all those in and aspiring to elected office to live up to the highest ideals that have made this country great.

The United States cannot provide a home for everyone.  But it can show, and has throughout its history, people from across the world how to live together.

I'm not buying they can be reliably vetted, due to the number of US officials from many parts of gov. who say that vetting is not possible because background records simply don't exist.

My opinion could be changed by telling me how the vetting will be done - what information is known and how it has been verified.   I'm open to being shown evidence that reliable vetting is possible, but without evidence that it can be done, I remain cautious.

Vetting wouldn't stop the terrorists from entering, because it's not foolproof.  Many of the terrorists are accomplished human beings.  They are well-educated, have or had very good jobs, etc.  Their terrorist ties are under the radar.  Vetting would never make me feel safe.  After Paris, we're being told that ISIS has learned to operate under the radar.  That's why they didn't pick up any chatter.  We can't be stupid and naive any longer.

That is what is so crazy the terrorist are not poor or uneducated they are. They could do so much good for their own people but instead have chosen a life of violence and hate in a false name of religion.

Honored Contributor

@Melania  Thank you!  Off to read it now.  

Not to state the obvious but even if you live in a state like me where your governor said no, what's to stop anyone from moving or traveling once they are here? Unless our governors are setting up road blocks at the state border (and I don't put that past a couple) once they are here, they're here.  Let's hope the people vetting them do a good job.    

Respected Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

It is a world mess and the Middle Eastern countries have yet to respond to making a humanitarian place for these people to live without fear of violence ect.

So many people have asked why the Saudis haven't offered them a place to live.  They have plenty of room, and the refugees would be more comfortable living in the same region, with many of the same cultural references and similar language.  Why isn't the world putting pressure on Saudi Arabia???

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

I am very upset by the fact that our president does not care about keeping the citizens of the U.S. safe.  If he did, he would voluntarily put a moratorium on Middle East immigration until things improved.  

Harry Reid is another one that just doesn't care.  He refused to sign Kate's Law that would have prevented illegal repeated felons from re-entering the U.S. over and over and taking refuge in sanctuary cities.  Many of our citizens have been killed by these people, but Reid wants to protect them.  Despicable.  And his reason?  It wouldn't be fair to the immigrant community.  Now that is sad...

Just how many have been killed by these people HERE??? Source??

Same old rant and fear mongering, I see.

Some states have already allowed Syrian refugees...Texas, California and Michigan.

Funny how now Texas has changed it's mind.

How about you have as much revulsion for your Congress? Don't answer...I already know the answer. SSDD.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

Do any of you live in a state where your Gov said no to refugees? 

yes......governor hogan just announced it a while ago. very disappointed in him.

we have already accepted some syrian refugees into our state.

I'm disappointed in him too, @sunshine45.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Melania  Thank you!  Off to read it now.  

Not to state the obvious but even if you live in a state like me where your governor said no, what's to stop anyone from moving or traveling once they are here? Unless our governors are setting up road blocks at the state border (and I don't put that past a couple) once they are here, they're here.  Let's hope the people vetting them do a good job.    

That's just it, Laura. The govs. can't stop them.

Honored Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

It is a world mess and the Middle Eastern countries have yet to respond to making a humanitarian place for these people to live without fear of violence ect.

So many people have asked why the Saudis haven't offered them a place to live.  They have plenty of room, and the refugees would be more comfortable living in the same region, with many of the same cultural references and similar language.  Why isn't the world putting pressure on Saudi Arabia???

In answer to your question read this article:http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/08/world/gulf-states-syrian-refugee-crisis/

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I read the article and it basically says they do what they can but there's really no way to actually vet because of Syria being what Syria is.  So it sounds like it's gut instinct and profiling at its best on the part of these resettlement agency people.  Let's hope they enjoy their jobs and do it well.  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC argumentative.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

Do any of you live in a state where your Gov said no to refugees? 

yes......governor hogan just announced it a while ago. very disappointed in him.

we have already accepted some syrian refugees into our state.

I'm disappointed in him too, @sunshine45.

I am not clear on what Christie is doing here because he has not been clear in his speeches.