Honored Contributor

Re: packaging - can't we do this better for the environment?

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

The Tylenol scare was when some sicko opened a Tylenol bottle and put poison on one of the tablets. A Mother had a sick child (her only child) and gave her a Tylenol. Guess which one?? Guess how that Mother felt. It was not a case of watching your children.

If I recall correctly a number of people were murdered by the same person putting poison capsules in the bottle. It was a huge news story!

@proudlyfromNJ

I didnt say it very well and updated my response...These were 2 separate situations which caused the manufacturers of their respective products to add additional packaging...

Your right, the Tylenol was caused by a sicko murderer who put poison in the medication--it had nothing to do with the parent...

But some things like the Tide Pods require extra care by parents ......but the manufacturers take precautions to avoid liability........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

The Tylenol scare was when some sicko opened a Tylenol bottle and put poison on one of the tablets. A Mother had a sick child (her only child) and gave her a Tylenol. Guess which one?? Guess how that Mother felt. It was not a case of watching your children.

If I recall correctly a number of people were murdered by the same person putting poison capsules in the bottle. It was a huge news story!

Yes, but not the only one. People remember it because it was either the first or among the firsts of this type of thing, plus Tylenol was a brand distributed nation wide. All the news outlets carried it.

There were others, and as packaging was developed to prevent such things, it seemed to be accepted as a challenge to those who wanted to show how clever they could be in overcoming it without leaving a sign of their tampering.

Honored Contributor

I think we generate more recycling than regular garbage.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional

Being totally honest, my concern with certain things(plastic), was because of all the animals that suffer when certain trash compromises their movement. This often leads to a very long suffering death.

Now this "tamper proof" packing deal! I just opened a butter spray that I like using. I have a special knife I use to even be able to open these things, why? Then I buy a CD or DVD?  Might be easier for me to crack into Fort Knox.

I get your point and think there could be better ways, but as long as businesses, and sometimes regulations, are involved? Businesses want to save money so!!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@ms traditional

Being totally honest, my concern with certain things(plastic), was because of all the animals that suffer when certain trash compromises their movement. This often leads to a very long suffering death.

Now this "tamper proof" packing deal! I just opened a butter spray that I like using. I have a special knife I use to even be able to open these things, why? Then I buy a CD or DVD?  Might be easier for me to crack into Fort Knox.

I get your point and think there could be better ways, but as long as businesses, and sometimes regulations, are involved? Businesses want to save money so!!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

My major concerns are about the plastics that endanger animals and cause a painful death.....Another major concern are things that might contaminate our drinking water....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

A couple of years ago, there was an article about some scientists that discovered microbes that  "digest" plastics.

I'm really not concerned.  Plastics are made of materials that came out of the earth and I have no doubt that the earth will naturally absorb them.

Look at the oil spills ... oil eating microbes are cleaning them up far faster than anyone expected. 

Esteemed Contributor

I share your concern, @hckynut, and cut open all bags and other potentially cruel 'traps' before throwing them into the trash.

About 35 years ago they started lining food bags  (like cookies, chips, etc) with foil to extend freshness. These bags are impossible to tear!

I came home to find my dog with his head stuck tight in such a bag.

It was clear he'd been crashing into furniture all over the house with this over his head, had already lost control of bowel and bladder, and his breathing was alarming!

When I tugged that thing off his head his eyes were popped, tongue and gums cyanotic, and he gasped for air for several minutes.

I can't bear to think of scavenging animals dying like that in a garbage dump, but I'm sure they do.

Like I said, I cut open all possible 'traps'.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

A couple of years ago, there was an article about some scientists that discovered microbes that  "digest" plastics.

I'm really not concerned.  Plastics are made of materials that came out of the earth and I have no doubt that the earth will naturally absorb them.

Look at the oil spills ... oil eating microbes are cleaning them up far faster than anyone expected. 

@ALRATIBA  Yes, I believe in 2016 there was a study about finding microbes that would digest PET, the most common plastic.  If I'm not mistaken there has been a way to manufacture the enzyme used by the microbes to digest the plastic.

However, we have a current problem with pollution from plastic and it's going to take a very, very long time to counter that negative effect.

The earth itself does not absorb plastic naturally.  Landfills are proof.

Not to mention the garbage patches in our oceans of plastic and other refuse.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Don't give a &^^%%*(((.