Respected Contributor

Re: p.s. About laundry detergents

OP I'm old enough to have used cloth diapers on my babies.  I used bleach on those diapers.  I don't recall any bad reactions ever.   How in the world do you know the kids in the mall are coughing or have asthma because their mom's don't use unscented laundry soaps?

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for that creative search tip, SilleeMe!
Esteemed Contributor

Also, harsh detergents are not good for ur dog - when washing their towels, blankets, leashes, etc. I stopped using fabric softeners (liquids and sheets) -- totally unnecessary.

Honored Contributor

kivah wrote:

Also, harsh detergents are not good for ur dog - when washing their towels, blankets, leashes, etc. I stopped using fabric softeners (liquids and sheets) -- totally unnecessary.

That's a VERY good thing to know!  We have a dog and a bird - I would never wash either of their things (along with mine, because I have severe asthma) in ANY scented detergent OR fabric softener.

I can't even tolerate scented laundry detergents at all, with my upper respiratory issues and just being in a house that uses Tide makes me VERY ill.     I don't know what it is about that one that is more harsh than others, but my lungs seem to!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'I don't know how many times'..........I've suggested to people (lots of times) to please use unscented liquid laundry detergents when washing their pillow cases and sheets.  Not too many believed me until they developed all sorts of facial rashes, etc.  So, now some of them believe me and have switched to less strong detergents.  Bleaches and other strong chemicals do not belong near our faces and delicate body parts.  Also, some parents are using the strong products on their babies' clothing, sheets, bedding, and pillow cases.  That's a no-no, and somebody should speak up and educate them before taking baby home from the hospital.  Lots of kids have asthma and I'm only guessing that it could be triggered by all of these strong odors in the clothing that they are wearing, as well as the pillow cases/sheets that they are sleeping on/with.  It just bothers me to see some kids with a strong asthma-type of cough, coughing around in malls, etc. 

It's not always just a matter of using unscented / fragrance-free laundry detergents.  I posted in the "Skin Rash" thread that I've used a laundry detergent for many years that was "fragrance free" and "for sensitive skin," yet one day I developed a horrible rash, after years of having no issues with the detergent.  I learned the Brand had reformulated the detergent, and one of the new ingredients was the preservative methylisothiazolinone.  This preservative is what caused my rash, and was included in the unscented / fragrance free detergent  I was using "for sensitive skin."  (There's more info on methylisothiazolinone in the other thread, if anyone would like to read more details).

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

I just bought that new detergent called purisol or something close.It smells so strong that I can't get near my laundry room without gagging,I seem to have developed a strong reaction to chemicals over the years.

It's called Persil.  They make a sensitive formula that works great.

Respected Contributor

I don't use dryer sheets, but I like a bit of subtly scented laundry detergent. We have never had problems with it. Just don't use Tide, which has been notorious for causing rashes for decades. I never used Tide myself. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I use Shaklee cleaning products, including their detergent and love it. It's very safe and natural, which is what I want.
Respected Contributor

Anyone use soap nuts?  Just heard about them.  Curious.  Thanks