Esteemed Contributor

Re: oh my gosh, I am SO sick

@gidgetgh, I hope you are on the road to feeling better.

Heavens, I would have went too. I just read a rude reply, asking why you went to the dang dr.!

I had a bad sore throat one time and I went to the dr., and he looked in my mouth, said something like "Oh no, you need to see an ENT", he called the ENT ppl here in town and got me right in. I had an absess in my throat. The ENT dr gave me antibiotics and I had to go in there and see him every other day for for a while just for him to check it.

Apparantely, these types of things can get very serious very quickly.

I don't think we should chastise anyone for going to the dr, people.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Three days of a seriously sore throat definitely calls for a doctor visit and maybe a test for a strep infecton.

Untreated strep can be dangerous.  Among other things, I've been told strep can do permanent damage to heart valves.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Ok, so I am home. 

The Doctor didn't think it was the flu because I'd had the flu shot and my fever wasn't high enough. He also didn't think it was strep and didn't test me for it. 

He said upper respiratory infection.  That my throat is pretty red. No congestion at all in my lungs. 

He prescribed an antibiotic and cough medicine in case I start coughing. He also prescribed Magic Mouthwash to help with the pain in my throat. I've taken that before, but it's been many years. My CVS didn't have all the ingredients for it this morning so I'll have to try another drug store. 

I got home at 10 and immediately took the first dose of the antibiotic. My voice is probably at 60%. The pain in my throat has backed off some thankfully. Same thing it did yesterday and then it was really painful last night. 

I appreciate everyone's comments. We've all been through it. It's a really long night when you're up and you don't feel well. 

I am happy that you don’t have the flu or strep...those are nasty.I really hope you feel better soon.You have so much going on.Take care and rest as much as you can

Esteemed Contributor

I'll never forget one time when I was sick.

I couldn't sleep because my throat felt like there was a white-hot poker in my throat.

I couldn't even swallow saliva without being in excruciating pain.

I went to Urgent Care, and was the first patient in when they opened.

I'll never forget what the doctor said when she looked at my throat.

Her exact words was, and I quote was, "Ewww."

Now, you know it's bad when a doctor, who has seen a lot of things in their career, says, "Eww".

I had strep.

Everyone says that they have to know their own body, and be their own advocate when it comes to health, yet a poster is chastised when she goes to see a doctor when she knows that something isn't right?

Talk about being hypocritical.

One can't have it both ways.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@gidgetgh 

Does not owe anyone an explination on why she went to Urgent Care, but she DOES have the RIGHT to defend herself against narrow minded/closed minded people who lob accusations against her for "how DARE you go to Urgent Care for just the sniffles" attitude.

@Anonymous032819 , I didn't read all the comments, but I agree.  Around here, that's really what Urgent Care is for.  Even their ads say so.  They are not meant to be an Emergency Room.  They're pretty much on every corner now since the introduction of the ACA.  Basically, I think they are taking advantage of the fact that doctors are now overloaded with patients.  There's one I saw the other day that was advertising on their marquee IV therapy.  I know there's some fad for IV vitamins or something.  But, that certainly isn't an urgent need.  So, how could someone fault another person for just wating to get into a doctor to hopefully feel better sooner?  

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh , you don´t have to explain why you went to the Dr. I wasn´t planning to go but had to and Iḿ glad I went. Iḿ feeling a lot better and so will you.

Airborne is my to go remedy, but it did not work this time. I had to give in.

Honored Contributor

Feel better soon, Gidge.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

I thought that was what walkin clinics were for, to replace people going to the emergency room.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would be ashamed to make cracks about a sick person seeking medical advice. All you are doing is showing yourself up. This is no reflection on @gidgetgh ..I hope you don't work in health care. You weren't someone with a birth date for a nick ,at one time ,were you? You have a great deal in common