Honored Contributor

Re: oh dear - they're giving up

C759A54C-31BF-488A-AE86-9E7ECC85E8D9.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Are we there yet?  The Dark Ages I mean.  Seems sort of like it to me.  

Honored Contributor

Hold the line, admirable @ms traditional!   Keep that banner held high, even though others falter, ha.  Am counting on you, and Miss Dabareiner would be proud, and vindicated.... 

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I never knew that such a society existed!  LOL!

I sell personalized signs on Etsy.  Often someone will order a sign from me asking for an apostrophe to be placed near the end of a last name to pluralize it.  I try to very nicely explain that the apostrophe at the end of a name should be used as either a singular  or a plural possessive which determines where the apostrophe is placed (usually before or after the "s").  It's not for plualizing a name.  This falls on deaf ears.

So many times they will just tell me that they think it "looks right" with the apostrophe.  Here's an example..... "The Smith's wish you a Merry Christmas!"...ugh!

Yes! My sister-in-law (who is a smart lady) used to do this on their Christmas cards. Also, there is a group of neighbors not far from me who have "matching" Christmas decorations. Each home has a sign out front which says, "The Smith's" or "The Olson's" etc. Drives me crazy! I told my husband that one night, under cover of darkness, I'm going to go around with some white paint and paint over all of the apostrophes! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

C759A54C-31BF-488A-AE86-9E7ECC85E8D9.jpeg

@sidsmom ...Perfect   Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma 

....and I'm getting the first one!

Honored Contributor

Who(')s abusing apostrophes?  

Respected Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I sell personalized signs on Etsy.  Often someone will order a sign from me asking for an apostrophe to be placed near the end of a last name to pluralize it.  I try to very nicely explain that the apostrophe at the end of a name should be used as either a singular  or a plural possessive which determines where the apostrophe is placed (usually before or after the "s").  It's not for plualizing a name.  This falls on deaf ears.

So many times they will just tell me that they think it "looks right" with the apostrophe.  Here's an example..... "The Smith's wish you a Merry Christmas!"...ugh!

Yes! My sister-in-law (who is a smart lady) used to do this on their Christmas cards. Also, there is a group of neighbors not far from me who have "matching" Christmas decorations. Each home has a sign out front which says, "The Smith's" or "The Olson's" etc. Drives me crazy! I told my husband that one night, under cover of darkness, I'm going to go around with some white paint and paint over all of the apostrophes! Smiley Happy

Hmmm.  If the signs imply a possessive then aren't the signs correct, aka The Smith's (House)?

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

Hmmm.  If the signs imply a possessive then aren't the signs correct, aka The Smith's (House)?

@Shawnie 

That's an interesting point. I can see how some could see it that way.  

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@Shawnie 

That's an interesting point. I can see how some could see it that way.  

The apostrophe should be after the s, not before!