Respected Contributor

The Apostrophe Protection Society of the UK is closing down in disgust. its members are throwing in the towel saying that the cause is lost.

The Apostrophe Protection Society was a UK society with "the specific aim of preserving the correct use of this currently much abused punctuation mark". It was founded in 2001 by John Richards, a retired sub-editor, in response to his observations of widespread incorrect use of thpostrophe.

does this mean i should stop correcting grammar mistakes of so-called journalists on major networks (mutter mutter mutter.....)???!!  

naw.  i haven't given up -  yet.!!!  thanks to the excellent teaching of one Miss Dabareiner way back when.

Honored Contributor

Re: oh dear - they're giving up

@ms traditional 

In case they vanish altogether, I’m sending you a few to hang on to.

’’’’’

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Drythe  that's very generous of you.  you couldn't be nicer on this sad day. hope all's well 

there! i  used a few - pls. send me more! 

Honored Contributor

I never knew that such a society existed!  LOL!

I sell personalized signs on Etsy.  Often someone will order a sign from me asking for an apostrophe to be placed near the end of a last name to pluralize it.  I try to very nicely explain that the apostrophe at the end of a name should be used as either a singular  or a plural possessive which determines where the apostrophe is placed (usually before or after the "s").  It's not for plualizing a name.  This falls on deaf ears.

So many times they will just tell me that they think it "looks right" with the apostrophe.  Here's an example..... "The Smith's wish you a Merry Christmas!"...ugh!

Honored Contributor

Now it will be an apostrophe free-for-all.  Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I never knew that such a society existed!  LOL!

I sell personalized signs on Etsy.  Often someone will order a sign from me asking for an apostrophe to be placed near the end of a last name to pluralize it.  I try to very nicely explain that the apostrophe at the end of a name should be used as either a singular  or a plural possessive which determines where the apostrophe is placed (usually before or after the "s").  It's not for plualizing a name.  This falls on deaf ears.

So many times they will just tell me that they think it "looks right" with the apostrophe.  Here's an example..... "The Smith's wish you a Merry Christmas!"...ugh!

@haddon9  ah, you get it!  don't give up! you're doing people a favor.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Now it will be an apostrophe free-for-all.  Smiley Sad

let's fight back @ValuSkr !

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional   All I can say is that I try.  However if they insist on incorrect grammar, I don't sign my name to the back & I also keep all messages just in case there are some disagreements down the road.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@ms traditional   All I can say is that I try.  However if they insist on incorrect grammar, I don't sign my name to the back & I also keep all messages just in case there are some disagreements down the road.

@haddon9    it's a battle, isn't it? and i don't blame you for not wanting your business reputation to be attached to such mistakes...  and very smart of you to keep correspondence as proof in these crazy days.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   LOL   That would bother me too.  But the customer is always right, of course.